I - Where is Bat Trang Pottery Village Hanoi?
Bat Trang is Vietnam's most well-known and oldest traditional craft village which was established from the 14th to 15th century. The village is located on the left bank of the Red River in Bat Trang commune, Gia Lam district, about 15km from the Hanoi city center. You can come here at any time of year, but the pottery village is busiest and most crowded in the days leading up to the Vietnamese Lunar New Year (celebrated around the end of January and the beginning of February).
Bat Trang Ceramics Village on Google - Source: Internet
1 - Getting to Bat Trang by motorbike
Traveling by motorbike takes about 45 minutes and the motorbike rental fee is 150,000 VND/motorbike/day ($6.5). Some motorbike rental shops in Hanoi city center:
- Address: No.1A Trang Tien Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0338023344
- Address: No.13 Ngo Huyen Street, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0904253491
Van Chinh Shop
- Address: No.24D Ta Hien Street, Hang Buom Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0989595533
2 - Getting to Bat Trang Village by bus
- Available bus: bus No.47A
- Pick-up point: Long Bien transit point - Yen Phu Street, Tay Ho District, Hanoi
- Drop-off point: the center of the village
- Ticket price: 7,000 VND/person ($0.7)
- Frequency: Every 20 minutes from 5am to 8pm
- More information: https://map.busmap.vn/hn/route/47
3 - Getting to Bat Trang by taxi
Traveling by taxi costs about 200,000 VND/4-seater car ($8.62). Some taxi companies in Hanoi:
- Taxi Group: 1900545467
- Mai Linh Taxi: 02438333333
- Tourist Taxi: 0245624616
- ABC Taxi: 02437191919
II - What to do at Bat Trang Pottery Village?
1 - Try making pottery
Making pottery - Source: Internet
One of the best things to do here is pottery making by yourself: trying to be a real potter, experiencing playing with clay and learning some unique techniques from experienced artists, and taking home as a self-made souvenir from Vietnam.
This short class costs about 50,000 VND/person ($2.15).
2 - Buying ceramics in Bat Trang Village
There is a 6000m2 market in the center of the pottery village that is separated into different areas. Each stall sells a variety of pottery and porcelain products such as plates, statues, vases, teacups, bracelets, and keychains,... Apart from household ceramics, you can find lots of unique worship items, decorative ceramic and fine pottery arts.
3 - Take a stroll through the streets
Bat Trang Pottery Village features the tranquility and simplicity of a common northern Vietnamese village. Narrow winding paths, a few antique houses from the previous century, and unique ceramic drying racks,... making the ancient & peaceful beauty of the village.
4 - Visiting the Museum of Bat Trang Ceramic
Museum of Bat Trang Ceramic - Source: Internet
Bat Trang Ceramic Museum is a newly constructed work in hamlet 5, Bat Trang commune. The architecture of the museum is inspired by images of turntables and ceramic kilns. The entire museum is covered in brown color. The museum includes 3 floors and is used to display a range of different items, as well as to serve as a commercial center and as a venue for events. The rooftop is open & spacious where you can see the entire Bat Trang village.
III - Bat Trang Pottery Village half-day tour
Bat Trang is really a great choice for a day trip from Hanoi. You can refer to the following tour itinerary and tour operators:
- 8:00 am: Pick-up from Hanoi city center
- 9:00 am: Arrive in Bat Trang, then gather at the pottery workshop, listen to the pottery production process, collect clay, make the frame, decorate and bake the pottery…
- 11:30 am: Have lunch at the local restaurant
- 1:30 pm: Free sightseeing.
- 4:00 pm: Back to the city center
- 5:00 pm: Arrive in Hanoi
Recommended day tours to discover Bat Trang Village Vietnam:
Oriental Hospitality Group
- Tour price: from $45 - 115 / tour
- Address: OFFICE: Unit 506 - 5th floor, Office Building - Hanoi Tower - No. 49 Hai Ba Trung Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
- Contact: (+84) 24 3557 3333 - Email:email@example.com
Bat Trang Pottery Village is an ideal choice for a day trip from Hanoi. Coming here offers you a closer look at a traditional Vietnamese craft village as well as the most realistic experience with pottery making, which has been a long-standing profession in Vietnam.