Travel to Hue Vietnam and you have the opportunity to experience a land of cultural quintessence convergence, with a rich history of up to 1000 years, various festivals and unique tangible and intangible cultural heritages. One of them is the famous Complex of Hue Monuments, which preserves the values of the ancient Hue royal court. In Hue, you can find a lot of impressive historical - architectural landmarks such as royal tombs, mausoleums, temples, shrines,...
- Area: 265.99 km²
- Population: 652,572 people (2020)
- Postal-zip code: 530000
I - Where is Hue in Vietnam?
Being the capital city of Thua Thien - Hue Province, Hue is located in the central region of Vietnam, bordering the East Sea to the north - 670 km south of Hanoi, 1040 km north of Ho Chi Minh City, and 100 km north of Danang City. Traveling to this city is very easy and simple with flexible means and time, as the airport system, bus station, and transportation infrastructure are all upgraded and maintained periodically.
Airport in Hue
- Name: Phu Bai International Airport
- Location: National Highway 1A, Phu Bai Ward, Huong Thuy Town, Thua Thien - Hue Province - 15km south of Hue City Center
- IATA code: HUI
- ICAO code: VVPB
Train station in Hue: There is only one at No.2 Bui Thi Xuan Street, Duc Ward
Bus stations in Hue: There are 4 bus stations, including:
- Phia Bac Bus Station (Northern Bus Station): Ly Thai To Street
- Phia Nam Bus Station (Southern Bus Station): No.333A An Duong Vuong Street
- Dong Ba Bus Station: No. 06 Tran Hung Dao Street - right near Dong Ba Market
- Nguyen Hoang Bus Station: No.03 Le Duan Street
II - When is the best time to visit Hue Vietnam?
The typical climate here is tropical monsoon, with the average annual temperature not too high, only about 25oC. The city has two visibly different seasons: the rainy season and the dry season, and a not-so-distinct spring which lasts from January to late February.
The dry season runs from March until August with fairly high temperatures of 35°C to 40°C. The rainy season has an average temperature of 20°C and lasts from August to January, with the "flood season" lasting from October onwards.
The best time of year to visit Hue City is considered from April to June because the weather this time is extremely pleasant at this time, which is extremely suitable for sightseeing activities. Moreover, you might have the opportunity to experience the Hue Festival, which is held every 2 years at the end of April, in order to honor the cultural heritage and promote tourism.
III - Getting around in the city of Hue Vietnam
1 - By motorbike
Many people, especially backpackers, often ride motorbikes to be able to weave their way to every corner of this city and discover new things. Top-rated motorbike rental shops in the city center are:
Chi Sister Motorbike Rental Shop
- Address: No.16 Hung Vuong Street, Phu Hoi Ward
- Price: 80,000 - 150,000 VND / day ($3.5 - 6.6)
- Contact: 0389 441 733
- Address: No.11 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Phu Nhuan Ward, Hue City
- Price: 120,000 - 250,000 VND / day ($5.27 - 11)
- Contact: 094 541 81 11
Dong Xanh (Green Field) Motorbikes Rental
- Address: No.201 Tran Phu Street, Phuoc Vinh Ward
- Price: 120,000 - 150,000 VND / day ($5.27 - 6.6)
- Contact: 0787 528 677
- Address: No.14/42 Nguyen Cong Tru Street, Phu Hoi Ward
- Price: 180,000 - 280,000 VND / day ($7.9 - 12.3)
- Contact: 093 592 28 66
2 - Visit Hue City to experience the “Xich lo” (Cyclo)
Coming to this ancient city, you should definitely try to wander around the tree-lined streets on a cyclo, which has become a unique feature of Hue with its own nuances. To avoid being scammed, you should contact to book a cyclo of the Hue Tourist Cyclo Union, which has been recognized by The Hue City Federation of Labor:
- Driver uniform: Blue shirt with Union logo on the front and Union name on the back
- License plate pattern: 75XL - *** - **
- Contact: 088 628 40 44
There are 7 routes of cyclos in Hue Vietnam, including:
- Route 1 : Hien Nhon Gate - Bus Station. Price: 40,000 VND / trip ($1.76)
- Route 2: Hien Nhon Gate - Dinh Tien Hoang Street - Le Duan Street - Kim Long Street / Ward - Thien Mu Pagoda. Price: 80,000 VND / trip ($3.52)
- Route 3: Hien Nhon Gate - Doan Thi Diem Street - Dang Thai Than Street - Yet Kieu Street - Van Xuan Bridge - Phu Mong Street - Thien Mu Pagoda. Price: 80,000 VND / trip ($3.52)
- Route 4: From your hotel - around Hue Citadel (drop off in front of Citadel). Price: 100,000 VND / trip ($4.4)
- Route 5: From Hotel - Dong Ba Market - Mai Thuc Loan Street - Dang Thai Than Street - Quang Duc Gate. Price: 100,000 VND / trip ($4.4)
- Route 6: Hien Nhon Gate - Tinh Tam Lake - drop off at Hien Nhon Gate. Price: 50,000 VND / trip ($2.2)
- Route 7: Dang Thai Than Street - Yet Kieu Street - Nguyen Trai Street - Nguyen Hoang Bus Station. Price: 70,000 VND / trip ($3.08)
3 - Dragon boats in Hue City
One of the means that only appears in this city is the dragon boat ride on the Huong River. You can both admire the magnificent landscapes and listen to Hue's songs. Hue Discovery Tourism Office is one of the professional tour operators in Vietnam, providing professional dragon boat tour services in this city.
- Address: No.33/1/271 Chi Lang Street, Phu Cat Ward, city center
- Contact: 091 576 00 55 / 0199 999 1113
- Website: https://dulichkhamphahue.com
For a Hue travel tour by Dragon boats, you can choose one of 5 following routes:
- Route 1: Wandering on Huong River as you like
+ Price: 250,000 - 300,000 VND / hour / single boat ($11 - 13.18)
+ Price: 400,000 - 500,000 VND / hour / double boat ($17.6 - 22)
+ Price: 250,000 VND / one-way trip / single boat ($10.8)
- Route 2: Toa Kham Wharf - Thien Mu Pagoda
+ Price: 450,000 VND / one-way trip / double boat ($19.8)
+ Price: 350,000 VND / two-way trip / single boat ($15.4)
+ Price: 650,000 VND / two-way trip / double boat ($28.57)
- Route 3: Visit Thien Mu Pagoda - Hon Chen Temple
+ Price: 600,000 VND / two-way trip / single boat ($26.37)
+ Price: 1,100,000 VND / two-way trip / double boat ($48.34)
- Route 4: Visit 5 main locations in Hue City including Hue Citadel, Thien Mu Pagoda, Tombs of King Khai Dinh, King Tu Duc, and King Minh Mang.
+ Price: 800,000 VND / trip / single boat ($35.16)
+ Price: 1,500,000 VND / trip / double boat ($65.9)
- Route 5: Boat Dock - Hen Dune - Thanh Tien Village
+ Price: 450,000 VND / trip / single boat ($19.8)
+ Price: 750,000 VND / trip / double boat ($32.96)
4 - Taxis in Hue Vietnam
When in the inner city, it will be difficult for you to hail a taxi directly on the street but have to call through the switchboard or book one on apps. Here is the phone number and head locations of the most popular taxi companies in Hue:
- Mai Linh taxi: 0234 389 8989; 0234 382 4747
- Phu Xuan taxi: 0234 387 8787
- VinaSun Hue taxi: 0234 3788 788
- Thua Thien Hue taxi: 0234 381 8181
- Dong Ba taxi: 0234 384 8484
- Huong Giang taxi: 0234 378 7878
The city of Hue in Vietnam is the land of the "Land of the Spirit" where cultural and historical values are fully converged. Travel to Hue City, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the ancient architectural space, experience the interesting festival atmosphere of this romantic land, and enjoy delicious delicacies.