Being considered a delicacy of Hanoi food, Pho noodle soup is the soul of Vietnamese cuisine. Pho originated in Nam Dinh province - about 90km to the south of Hanoi, and this great noodle soup flourished in the capital city. Hanoi is the best place to enjoy authentic Vietnamese Pho soup.
Pho Hanoi impresses with a light flavor in the broth. A bowl of Pho includes broth, Pho rice noodles, slices of beef, and green onion on top. In Hanoi, Pho is always served with lime, chili & garlic vinegar, and cilantro. “Quẩy” - or crunchy fried stick bread is the best side dish that is loved to order when enjoying Pho.
I - The best Pho Hanoi restaurants
1 - Pho Thin Hanoi
In Hanoi, there are two brands with the same name "Pho Thin":
Pho Thin Lo Duc since 1979
Thin Pho - Source: Kenh14
Pho Thin is not only famous in Hanoi but also has establishments in Tokyo - Japan, Australia, and Pho Thin used to be mentioned on CNN, Reuter,.. with many positive compliments for the taste.
- Address: No.13 Lo Duc street, Hai Ba Trung district, Hanoi
- Price: 65,000 VND / bowl ($2.8)
- Opening hours: 6am - 2pm & 5pm - 9pm
Pho Thin Bo Ho since 1955 - best pho in Hanoi Old Quarter
This small restaurant in Hanoi Old Quarter has been around for more than 50 years. The flavor of pho here is too unique to be described.
- Address: No.61 Dinh Tien Hoang street, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi - right next to Hoan Kiem Lake
- Price: 40,000 - 70,000 VND / bowl ($1.7 - 3)
- Opening hours: 06:00 - 13:00 & 17:00 - 22:30
2 - Pho Bat Dan Hanoi
Pho Bat Dan - Source: Kenh14
Pho Bat Dan is one of the most famous Pho in Hanoi. The rich and clear broth remains the authentic taste of a traditional Pho makes Pho Bat Dan always on the top place in Hanoi to try Pho noodle soup. An interesting feature at this pho restaurant is that all diners are fully self-service when it's their turn to pay for themselves and bring the Pho noodle soup to the table.
- Address: No.49 Bat Dan street, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
- Opening hours: 6:30am - 8:30am
- Price: 30,000 - 55,000 VND / bowl ($1.3 - 2.37)
3 - Pho 10 Ly Quoc Su Hanoi - one of the best places to try Pho Hanoi
Pho 10 Ly Quoc Su is a famous Pho chain restaurant in Hanoi with 3 branches:
- Branch 1: No.10 Ly Quoc Su street, Hoan Kiem district
- Branch 2: N2A Hoang Minh Giam street, Thanh Xuan district
- Branch 3: No.26 Lot 6 To Huu street, Ha Dong district
Pho 10 Ly Quoc Su - Source: Fb Pho 10 Ly Quoc Su
- Opening hours: 6am - 10pm
- Price: 50,000 - 75,000 VND / bowl ($2.15 - 3.23)
Note: Some restaurants named “Pho Ly Quoc Su” are not the original brand of Pho 10 Ly Quoc Su.
4 - Pho Ganh - the most special Pho in Hanoi
Burden Pho - Source: Kenh14
Pho Ganh means Pho selling through the “carrying pole” - “gánh”. There is no particular restaurant or eatery. This kind of Pho is often prepared at home and carried on the pole to sell on the streets of Hanoi. Hence, it is called “Phở Gánh”.
Pho Ganh is mostly sold early in the morning, from about 3 am to serve the traders at Dong Xuan market. The unique cooking & serving and distinctive selling time make enjoying a bowl of Pho Ganh are one of the top things to do at night in Hanoi.
- Address: the beginning of the intersection of Hang Duong street - Hang Chieu street
- Opening hours: 3am - 7am
- Price: from 45,000 VND / bowl ($1.95).
5 - Pho Bung Hang Trong - unique Hanoi style pho
Pho bung Hang Trong street - Source: Kenh14
Pho Hang Trong is an ideal place to try Pho in the late afternoon in Hanoi. The most special thing about Pho Bung is there is no table or chair to sit and enjoy Pho. Instead, diners have to carry the bowl and stand or sit on the sidewalk when they enjoy it. Not only attract diners by its unique serving, but also by its incredible taste and flavor.
- Address: No.1 Hang Trong street, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
- Opening hours: 4pm - 6pm
- Price: 30,000 - 65,000 VND / bowl ($1.3 - 2.8)
6 - Stone-bowl Pho Hanoi
Stone-bowl Pho - Source: Nhahangmaison
Pho noodle is served in a stone bowl to keep the heat for the soup. When enjoying, you can add thin slices of beef into the bowl and try to taste the finest freshness & sweetness of the beef.
- Address: No.36A Hoang Cau street, Dong Da district, Hanoi
- Price: 30,000 - 50,000 VND / bowl ($1.3 - 2.15)
Besides the above-mentioned restaurants, you can try Pho soup in the following places:
- Address: No.25 Hang Giay street, Hoan Kiem district
- Price: 40,000 - 50,000 VND / bowl ($1.72 - 2.15)
- Address: No.24B Trung Yen lane, Dinh Liet ward, Hoan Kiem district
- Price: 40,000 - 55,000 VND / bowl ($1.72 - 2.37)
- Address: No.27A Huynh Thuc Khang street, Dong Da district
- Price: 30,000 - 50,000 VND / bowl ($1.29 - 2.15)
II - The popular types of Pho Hanoi
Pho beef noodle soup is the most famous to all Pho lovers, however, Pho chicken or vegetarian Pho are also good choices.
1 - Pho Bo Hanoi - Beef noodle soup
The rich-flavored broth is the soul of Pho Bo. Beef bone is boiled and simmered for hours with spices such as cinnamon, anise, cardamom, coriander, cloves, grilled onions & grilled ginger.
The meat part of pho is served in 2 options: well-done meat (Chín) or medium meat (Tái). Steak, fatty flank, lean flank, brisket are the most favorite kinds of beef used to cook Pho. This type of Pho Hanoi is always the best choice for a healthy and nutritious breakfast with a number of calories that is about 300-400 kcal/ bowl of Pho.
The locals enjoy Pho - Source: Kenh14
2 - Pho Ga Hanoi - Chicken noodle soup
Chicken is a great alternative to beef. Chicken stock is also simmered with Vietnamese spices (grilled ginger & onion, cinnamon, anise, cloves, cardamom, scallion, seasoning).
The chicken broth has a lighter flavor than beef broth. The chicken used to cook pho is the local chicken raised for at least 6 months with sweet & firm meat. Chicken meat is shredded and put on top of the bowl, along with some lime leaves for better flavor.
In short, Pho Hanoi is an attractive dish with a unique taste and should appear at the top of your choice when you want to explore Hanoi's cuisine. Not only the unique taste of Pho, but the form of enjoying Pho in Hanoi also has its own characteristics.