Located at an altitude of 1,600m above sea level in Northwest Vietnam, Sapa is one of the most famous mountainous towns to visit. This place is surrounded by high hills & mountains and is also home to many ethnic minorities such as Hmong, Dzao, and Tay,... The breathtaking landscape & unique culture make the attractiveness of Sapa town. So, how to get to Sapa Vietnam? There is NO airport, the most popular ways to go here are by train and by bus.
I - From oversea to Sapa
Is there any way to travel to this town directly by airplane? Until 2022, it is impossible to get here by airplane since there is NO airport in Sapa. For international tourists, if you are wondering how to get to Sapa from Singapore, Malaysia, or Korea,.. the best way is to take a flight to Hanoi, then get from Hanoi to Sapa. The best routes should be Hanoi-Sapa-Hanoi or Hanoi-Sapa-Ha Giang-Hanoi.
The distance from Hanoi to Sapa is about over 300km, it takes at least 5 hours to travel between 2 destinations. From Hanoi, you can take a Sapa package tour or travel by yourself. The best way to get to Sapa from Hanoi is by taking an overnight train to Lao Cai train station or taking a sleeper bus/ limousine directly to Sapa.
- By sleeping bus: it takes about 5 hours to get to the center of Sapa town
- By overnight train: it takes about 7 hours to get to Lao Cai train station & 45 minutes from Lao Cai train station to Sapa town.
II - How to get to Sapa Vietnam by overnight train?
1 - Hanoi to Lao Cai train station
Depart from: Hanoi train station - No.120, Le Duan Street, Hanoi
Arrive at: Lao Cai train station - Group 26A, Lao Cai city, Lao Cai province
Distance: 286 km
Travel time: 7 hours
Overnight train to Sapa price: $30 / ticket (soft berth)
- SP5: 19:40 - 04:22
- SP1: 21:35 - 05:30
- SP3: 22:00 - 06:05
- SP7: 22:30 - 06:33
- LC3: 06:10 - 15:46
- LC7: 23:05 - 09:05
Some train ticket agencies to book:
- Victoria express train Sapa
- Pumpkin train to Sapa
- Orient express train Sapa
- Sapaly train to Sapa
2 - How to get to Sapa Vietnam from Lao Cai train station:
Cost: $15 and some taxi brands:
- Hieu Hong Taxi: 0214.3.820,820
- Huu Nghi Taxi: 0214.3.834.834
- Mai Linh Taxi: 0214.3.833,388
- Hung Vuong Taxi: 0214.3.855,855
- Hoang Hop Taxi: 0214.3.843.843
- Hai Yen Taxi: 0214.3.835,835
- Van Ngoc Taxi: 0214.3.758.758
- Thanh Cong Taxi: 0214.3.685.685
How to get to Sapa Vietnam by public bus from Lao Cai train station:
Bus line 01:
- Route 01: Lao Cai Station Square - Sapa Town
- Ticket price: 26,000 VND/way
- Frequency: 15 trips/day
- Operating hours: 5:20 - 18:00
Bus line 02:
- Route 02: Lao Cai Central Bus Station - Sapa Town
- Ticket price: 30,000 VND/way
- Frequency: 13 trips/day.
- Operating hours: 5:25 - 17:15
Note: The transfer service can be booked with a train ticket at train ticket agencies.
III - How to get to Sapa Vietnam by sleeping bus?
Hung Thanh Bus (Source: Hungthanhtravel)
Distance: 315 km
Travel time: 5 hours
From Hanoi, you can take a sleeper bus from Hanoi old quarter area to get to Sapa Vietnam.
Bus ticket: from 250,000 VND / way ($11)
How to go to Sapa by bus: Here are some bus service providers:
1 - Green bus Sapa
- Pick-up: No.30 Hang Muoi street, Ly Thai To ward, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
- Drop-off: No.618 Dien Bien Phu street, Sapa
- Departure time: 7am, 1pm, 10pm
- Ticket price: 300,000 VND / way ($13)
- Contact: 02439338282 - 0976708283
2 - Vip Limousine Luxury Van - the best way to get to Sapa
- Pick-up: No.16 Hang Chinh street, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
- Drop-off: hotel in Sapa town
- Departure time: 7am, 7:30am, 3pm
- Ticket price: 320,000 VND / way ($14)
3 - Sao Viet bus
- Pick-up: No.114 Tran Nhat Duat street, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi
- Drop-off: No.571 Dien Bien Phu street, Sapa town
- Departure time: from 5am to 11pm (1 hour / 1 trip)
- Ticket price: 300,000 VND / way ($13)
IV - How to get to Sapa Vietnam by plane?
At present, there is no airport in Sapa, so those who are far away and have to travel by air can choose Noi Bai international airport as a transit point, then continue to travel by car or train to Sapa according to instructions in part 1 and part 2. Currently, the People's Committee of Lao Cai province is in the first stage of proposing to build an airport in Sapa. Hopefully, in time, there will be alternative routes from cities and provinces to Sapa to help tourists save time, and costs and have memorable experiences when coming to Sapa.
Sapa how to get there? Those are the 2 main ways to get to Sapa. The information is hoped to be helpful to you.