The distance from Hanoi to Dong Hoi is about 503km, along the 1A national road. To get to Dong Hoi from Hanoi, you can consider:
- Road: Cars and buses travel through National Highway 1A (CT1) and the Asian Highway (AH1) for about 9-10 hours.
- Airway: Vietnam Airlines and Vietjet Air offer round-trip flights between the 2 cities within 1 hour.
- Railway: Every day the North-South railway departs where trains with an odd number travel from the North to the South (SE1, SE3, etc.), and trains with an even number (SE2, SE4, SE6, SE8) will travel in the opposite direction. Traveling by train takes about 9.30 hours.
I - Take a flight from Hanoi to Dong Hoi
Airplane (Source: vtv)
The flight departs from Noi Bai international airport
- Location: Phu Minh commune, Soc Son district, Hanoi - 25km from Hanoi city center
- IATA code: HAN
The flight arrives at Dong Hoi airport
- Location: Loc Ninh ward, Dong Hoi city, Quang Binh province - 7km from Dong Hoi city center
- IATA code: VDH
Traveling by plane from Hanoi to Dong Hoi takes about 1 hour. Please notice that the peak hours in Hanoi are 7:30am - 9am and 4:30pm - 7pm. The crazy traffic jams and congestion can make it more time-consuming for airport transfers. It can take 1 hour to get to Noi Bai airport from Hanoi city center for a distance of 25km.
Some airlines companies offer available flights between two cities:
- Vietnam Airlines: about 1,720,000 VND/way ($74)
- Vietjet Air: about 500,000 VND/way ($21)
- Bamboo Airways: from 1,200,000 to 1,500,000 VND/way ($52 - 65)
II - Catching a bus from Hanoi to Dong Hoi
Catching a sleeping bus is another way of getting to Dong Hoi city. There are many bus companies in Hanoi that offer night bus services. You can book tickets at bus companies' offices or websites, or at travel agencies in Hanoi Old Quarter.
It takes about 9 to 10 hours to travel a distance of 500km along 1A national road. Some bus companies:
- Depart: No.208 Tran Quang Khai street, Hanoi at 6:30pm
- Arrive: No.22 Ho Xuan Huong street, Dong Hoi city at 4am
- Ticket price: 250.000 VND/person ($11)
- Contact: 0243 9036 036
Camel Bus - a popular Hanoi to Dong Hoi bus
- Depart: No.459 Tran Khat Chan street, Hanoi at 6:30pm
- Arrive: No.63 Ly Thuong Kiet street, Dong Hoi city at 4am
- Ticket price: 250,000 - 370,000 VND/person ($11 - 16)
- Contact: 024 8585 0555
The price is cheaper than an airline ticket. Traveling by bus also takes more time, but no worries as the buses run overnight so you can take a nap on the way to Dong Hoi city.
III - Travel from Hanoi to Dong Hoi by train
It takes about 10 hours to travel from Hanoi train station to Dong Hoi train station.
- Train code: SE7; SE9; SE11; SE3; SE5; SE19; QB1; SE17; QB3; SE1.
- Hanoi train station: No.120 Le Duan street, Cua Nam ward, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi.
- Dong Hoi train station: Sub-zone 4, Nam Ly ward, Dong Hoi city, Quang Binh province.
Travel by overnight train from Hanoi to Dong Hoi, you can feel more comfortable than traveling by bus with a soft-berth with an air-conditioning cabin. The hard seats, soft seats, and hard berths are available at cheaper prices. You can book train tickets at the Hanoi train station or at hostels, hotels, and travel agencies in Hanoi Old Quarter.
The train ticket prices range from $25 to $37. For more information, please check at the website: https://dsvn.vn/#/ or hotline 1900 1520.
In general, travelling from Hanoi to Dong Hoi by plane is the best choice if you want to save time while trains and buses might be the right options for those who have more time, good health and would like to have more experience with road and railway in Vietnam