Located in a narrow strip of the central region of Vietnam, Hue City has a rich historical and cultural tradition, which reflects through the diverse systems of the citadel, palaces, royal tomb of the Nguyen Kings, and royal architectures, etc, one of which is a list of museums, considered the must-visit places when paying a visit to this charming city.
1 - Top 5 museums in Hue: Hue museum of Royal Antiquities
Hue museum of Royal Antiquities, which was established in 1923 aiming at preserving antiquities in Hue City, especially in the Nguyen Dynasty, is one of the first museums in Vietnam. The museum has an area of more than 6,000m2 with the main hall of Long An Palace, which was built from 128 precious trees, and decorated with many poles which were sophisticatedly carved the shapes of the Four Holy Beasts.
One of the best Hue museums - Source: VnExpress
The museum is now preserving valuable antiquities such as thrones, seal marks, musical instruments, cannons, costumes of kings, ancient coins, etc. Many exhibitions are held in the museum on a regular basis so that you can get a deeper insight into the history of Hue Imperial City.
- Address: No.03 Le Truc Street, Thuan Thanh Ward, Hue City - right next to Hue Imperial City
- Opening hours: 7am - 5:30pm
- Fee: 200,000 VND/ ticket ($8.8) (including the fee to visit Hue Imperial City)
- Website: http://www.baotangcungdinh.vn
2 - Top 5 museums in Hue: Thua Thien Hue historical museum
Thua Thien Hue historical museum formerly known as Binh Tri Thien museum was founded in 1976, characterized by ancient architecture with spacious and airy space thanks to a lush green garden in front of the museum. This Hue museum preserves more than 30,000 valuable documents, artifacts, and exhibitions which are divided into three areas:
- The exhibition of “Revolutionary movement and French Resistance in Thua Thien Hue province 1930 -1954”.
- The exhibition of “the war of resistance against the US in Thua Thien Hue province 1954-1975”.
- The exhibition of big objects.
Top most-visited museums in Hue - Source: Internet
In addition, the museum also preserves artifacts at Comrade Nguyen Chi Dieu’s Memorial House (in Phu Mau Commune, Phu Vang District, Hue City), Phan Boi Chau Memorial Historic Site (at No.119 Phan Boi Chau Street, Truong An Ward, Hue City), the Central Committee Historical Site, (in No.114 Phan Dang Luu Street, Phu Hoa Ward, Hue City), the Nine Tunnels Historical Relic Site, and Mr. Ngo Dinh Can’s house (at the foot of Thien Thai Mountain, An Tay Ward, Hue City).
Note: You can set a schedule to visit all sites mentioned above.
- Address: No.01 23/8 Street, Thuan Thanh Ward, Hue City
- Opening hours: 7:30am - 11am & 1:30pm - 5pm from Tuesday to Sunday
- Fee: updating
- Website: baotanglichsu.thuathienhue.gov.vn
3 - Top 5 museums in Hue: Ho Chi Minh museum
Ho Chi Minh museum was established on September 16th, 1980, where president Ho Chi Minh nurtured and fostered revolutionary enthusiasm and patriotism. The museum has an area of 600m2, displaying about 1,300 documents and artifacts, introducing the images about president Ho Chi Minh’s life, career, and thoughts.
Ho Chi Minh museum Hue - Source: bthcm.thuathienhue
There are two main contents of this Hue museum including “The lifetime of Ho Chi Minh president and his family in Thua Thien Hue province” and “Thua Thien Hue and Ho Chi Minh president”.
- Address: No.07 Le Loi Street, Vinh Ninh Ward, Hue City
- Opening hours: 7:30am - 11:30am and 1:30pm - 4:30pm from Monday to Saturday
- Fee: updating
- Website: https://bthcm.thuathienhue.gov.vn/
4 - Top 5 museums in Hue: Embroidery Art Museum of XQ Hue
Embroidery Art Museum of XQ Hue - Source: Xqvietnam
This museum was established in 2017 with an area of more than 900m2 aiming at preserving the art of XQ embroidery in Vietnam. It features the exhibition space, artifact conservation area, office, and customer service area. This Hue museum owns a collection of over 400 works, artifacts, pictures, documents, and many types of two-side embroidery paintings, string art, etc, which are shown through three main themes: “the body” of embroidery”, “the face” of embroidery”, and “a voice for the traditional embroidery”.
- Address: No.01 Pham Hong Thai Street, Vinh Ninh Ward, Hue City
- Opening hours: 8am - 5:30pm
- Website: https://www.xqvietnam.com/
5 - Top Hue museums: Le Ba Dang Art Museum
The museum, established in 2009, is located on a hill, about 8km to the South of Hue City with a total area of up to 16,000m2. This is an exhibition displaying impressive artworks and valuable documents about the life of a talented Le Ba Dang artist.
Among the most outstanding museums in Hue - Source: NVCC
More particularly, there is an underground exhibition which is a 50-meter tunnel whose entrance is equipped with a lighting system. Besides, it is also designed with a large terrace, providing a broad view of green gardens. This place is a tourist magnet, attracting many people to come to discover the art and take impressive photos in Hue City.
- Address: Kim Son Village, Thuy Bang Commune, Huong Thuy District, about 8km to the South of Hue City
- Opening hours: 8am - 12am & 2pm - 6pm from Tuesday to Sunday
+ Individual: 270,000 VND/ ticket ($11.63)
+ Group from 10 - 30 people: 230,000 VND/ ticket ($9.91)
+ Group more than 30 people: 210,000 VND/ ticket ($9)
- Website: https://lebadangmemoryspace.com
In conclusion, Hue is attractive not only with a complex of citadels and palaces but also an array of unique museums where you can discover the local tradition and the long-standing history of this beautiful destination in Vietnam. The list above is about the top 5 most fascinating museums in Hue that you should pay a visit to.