Ho Chi Minh city is the largest economic hub in Vietnam and is also a prominent tourist destination in Southern Vietnam while Hoi An, located in Quang Nam Province, is a renowned city in Central Vietnam. The distance between Ho Chi Minh City and Hoi An is about 594 km. The most popular ways of traveling from Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An are bus, train, and plane. Read on for more details...
I - Flights from Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An
Currently, there are no direct flights to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh city. The flight from Ho Chi Minh City arrives at Danang International Airport which is 30km from Hoi An City. There are 3 airlines operating flights from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang: Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Air, Bamboo Airway, Jetstar Pacific Airlines.
Source: Bao Menglong
The flight time from Tan Son Nhat Airport to Danang airport is about 1 hour 20 minutes and below are some information about tickets (for reference only and you can visit the airlines’ websites for details):
- Vietnam Airlines: frequency of 20 flights/day. Ticket price: about 1,600,000- 2,300,000 VND (68.97-99.14 USD)/round trip.
- Vietjet Air: frequency of 15 flights/day. Ticket price: about 1,600,000 - 2,200,000 VND (68.97-94.83 USD)/round trip.
- Bamboo Airlines: frequency of 3 flights/day. Ticket price: about 1,500,000 - 2,000,000 VND (64.66-86.21 USD)/round trip.
After arriving at Da Nang airport, you can choose one of the two methods below to travel to Hoi An:
Taxi: Travelling by taxi takes 45 - 60 minutes/trip. The average price is from 350,000 to 450,000 VND (15.09-19.40 USD)/trip.
Rent a car: If you rent a self-drive car, it would take about 60 minutes. The daily rental price is 550,000 VND/4-seater car ($23.71); 1,100,000 VND/7-seater car ($47.41).
Bus: You can catch the shuttle bus at Nguyen Huu Tho Street; This is mostly buses of airlines companies.
- Travel time is about 60-70 minutes / trip;
- Frequency 15minutes / trip;
- Opening time is from 5:30am - 7:30pm;
- Ticket price: 70,000 - 150,000 VND / person /way ($3 - 6.46).
- Pick-up point: Da Nang airport - main side of Nguyen Huu Tho street
- Drop-off point: Hoi An ancient town
II - Train from Ho Chi Minh City to Hoi An
In Hoi An, there is currently no train station, so just like traveling by plane, you will take the train from Saigon Station to Da Nang Station. Then from Da Nang station, you can choose to take a taxi to Da Nang Central Bus Station and take a bus from Da Nang Central Bus Station to Hoi An with a fare of 18,000 VND (0.78 USD)/trip.
The distance from Saigon station to Da Nang station is 880 km and the travel time is from 15 to 19 hours straight. Currently, Saigon Railway Station provides about 6 trips per day, as follows:
Train fares: 450,000 - 1,220,000 VND/person ($19.4 - 52.6).
Train code & departure time:
- SE8 – departing at 6 am
- SE6 – departing at 9 am
- SE22 – departing at 11:55 am
- TN2 – departing at 2:40 pm
- SE2 – departing at 7:30 pm
- SE4 – departing at 10 pm
Saigon Railway Station: No.1 Nguyen Thong Street, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
Da Nang Railway Station: No.791 Hai Phong Street, Tam Thuan Ward, Thanh Khe District, Da Nang City.
When you travel by train, it is less expensive than going by plane, and you will also be able to see the beautiful scenery on both sides of the road along the way, but of course, you can not actively stop when you want. In addition, another disadvantage of traveling by train is that it takes quite a long time, easily causing exhaustion.
III - Bus from Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An
There are two options for tourists if you choose to travel by bus.
The first option is taking a bus directly to Hoi An Bus Station and the distance is about 970 km and lasts for about 16-19 hours. There are quite a few bus companies that offer direct routes to Hoi An Bus Station:
Hoi An Waterway Transport and Tourism Cooperative: 350,000 VND ($15.09)/ trip
(from Mien Dong Bus Station to Hoi An Bus Station)
- Address: No.3 Hoang Dieu Street, Hoi An City
- Contact: 0510861240
The second option is taking a bus to Da Nang Central Bus Station, then from there take bus No.1 to Hoi An Bus Station. The fare is 18,000 VND ($0.78)/trip. There are many bus companies operating Route Saigon-Da Nang that tourists can refer to such as:
Phuc Thuan Thao Bus to Hoi An from Ho Chi Minh City
- Ticket: 370,000 VND ($15.95)/trip (from Mien Dong Bus Station)
- Travel time: 20 hours.
- Phone: 0913961738/0915356256
Thuan Thao Bus
- Ticket: 380,000 VND ($16.38)/trip (from Mien Dong Bus Station)
- Travel time: 22 hours.
- Phone: 02835112957 - 02835111442 - 0913482369
- Website: thuanthao.com.vn/
Tuan Nam Bus
- Ticket: 450,000 VND ($19.40)/trip (from Mien Dong Bus Station)
- Travel time:16 hours.
- Phone: 0973183318 - 0905650056
There are also many other bus companies transporting passengers from Saigon to Da Nang, but the destination is not Da Nang Central bus station, so finding a way to get down to Hoi An will be more difficult and expensive.
Those are three different ways that tourists can choose to move from Ho Chi Minh City to Hoi An. Have a nice trip to Hoi An Vietnam.