I - When is the Vietnamese National Day?
The National Day of Vietnam takes place on September 2 every year to commemorate the day President Ho Chi Minh read the Declaration of Independence at Ba Dinh Square giving birth to the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (now the Socialist Republic of Vietnam).
Here is some information about one of the most important days in Vietnam’s history when President Ho Chi Minh read the Declaration of Independence on September 2, 1945:
- In 1940, Japan began their fight with France and gradually replaced the French to occupy Vietnam and completely replaced the French occupation and administration of Vietnam & Indochina from March 1945.
- August 15, 1945 – The Emperor of Japan (Emperor of the Showa era) declared on the radio accepting unconditional surrender to Allied countries.
- On August 19, 1945, the revolution successfully took power in Hanoi.
Historical background of the Vietnamese National Day - Source: Redsvn
- On August 24, 1945, King Bao Dai announced his approval of the abdication. At 4:00 pm on August 30, 1945, King Bao Dai officially recited his abdication at the Noon Gate in Hue Imperial City ending the monarchy in Vietnam and becoming the last Emperor of the Vietnamese feudal dynasties.
- On September 2, 1945: In front of thousands of people present at Ba Dinh Square, President Ho Chi Minh, on behalf of the provisional government, read the Declaration of Independence declaring to the entire Vietnamese people and the world about the birth of Vietnam Democratic Republic (later renamed the Socialist Republic of Vietnam)
You may not know about the Vietnamese National Day: The main content of the Declaration of Independence of Vietnam. The declaration includes 3 parts:
- Introduction: The legal/theoretical basis of the Declaration: Referring basic human rights through the excerpts from the 1776 American Declaration of Independence and the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen of the French Revolution of 1791: Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
- Part two: Summary of historical background and the process of fighting for the independence of the Vietnamese people from the occupation and control of the French Indochina and the Japanese Empire.
- Part three: The Declaration of Independence, affirming the right to liberty and independence as well as the will and desire of Vietnamese to uphold freedom and independence.
II - Activities in the Vietnamese National Day
There are many cultural activities and festivals to welcome the National Day on September 2 such as:
Source: Huan Thu
1 - Street decoration in the occasion of Vietnam's independence day
Not only the big streets but the narrow alleys are also dyed crimson by the red of the Vietnam national flags. The flags hung in straight lines on the streets, becoming a feature in Vietnam on September 2. The street is also lavishly decorated with flags, flowers, and colored lights.
2 - Celebration programs
Programs to celebrate the Vietnam National Day include many activities such as military parades, rallies, music performances, or fireworks (in some special years). Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi Capital are the major places where the fireworks take place on the national day. Ho Chi Minh City, you can see fireworks at Dam Sen Cultural Park and the tunnel across the Saigon River. In Hanoi, it is held at Hoan Kiem Lake, Thong Nhat Park, and My Dinh National Stadium. The fireworks display time usually lasts 15 minutes from 9pm to 9:15pm on September 2.
On Vietnamese National Day, thousands of people participated in the military parade, demonstrating the pride, magnanimity, and invincible strength of the great national unity. In the parade, the National Emblem vehicle carries the portrait of President Ho Chi Minh, leading the procession, which included the People's Armed Forces, National Army, Police, Self-defense Forces, etc. with Veterans taking the lead.
Next is a parade of mass forces representing Vietnam social classes such as workers, farmers, intellectuals, businessmen, women. After passing through Ba Dinh Square and Hung Vuong Boulevard, the army entered the streets of Hanoi capital.
The Hanoi Pedestrian Street is an attractive tourist destination for locals and foreigners, especially on National Day of Vietnam - September 2. During this time, this place is not as chaotic as usual, people can freely immerse themselves in cultural and artistic activities. The walking space makes room for different stalls such as Vietnamese cuisine, typical Vietnamese souvenirs, etc. People can also enjoy folk games held along the streets around Hoan Kiem Lake.
III - The place should visit on the Vietnamese National Day
On this Holiday, you can visit Ba Dinh Square or Ho Chi Minh Museum to experience the holiday’s atmosphere in Vietnam.
Ba Dinh Square on the occasion of Independence day of Vietnam - Source: Kenh14
1 - Ba Dinh Square
Ba Dinh Square is located on Hung Vuong Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi. On the National Day of September 2, Ba Dinh Square is the place where many meetings and celebrations take place such as: flag-raising, saluting ceremony, parade, visiting Uncle Ho's mausoleum, etc. Coming here, you have a chance to understand more about President Ho Chi Minh's life.
✅ Many other interesting attractions & activities in September are waiting to be discovered ✅
2 - Visiting Ho Chi Minh Museum in the Vietnamese National Day
Ho Chi Minh Museum is located at 1 Nguyen Tat Thanh street, Ward 12, District 4, Ho Chi Minh City. This is one of the most impressive French architectural works in this city. The building was designed in Western architecture but with two dragons on the roof in Vietnamese architectural style.
- Opening hours: 7:30am - 11:30am & 1:30pm - 5pm from Tuesday to Sunday
- Admission fee: 40,000 VND / foreign tourist ($1.7)
Some notes for you when coming to Vietnam at this time:
- The travel expenses on holidays might be a bit higher than normal days
- The places to visit are crowded, you should keep your personal belongings carefully
- Polite dressing is recommended
Vietnamese National Day is a meaningful holiday with many cultural activities. Hope you have an interesting trip to Vietnam on this occasion.