Vietnam is not exactly a big country, with roads and infrastructure still not fully developed, so people here still mainly use motorbikes. This is the ideal vehicle to help you fully experience life and beautiful scenery, weaving from every corner of the city to difficult mountainous areas. For more information about tips & tricks for renting a motorbike in Vietnam, keep reading the article below.
I - Guide for renting a motorbike in Vietnam
1 - How to choose a suitable motorbike for your journey in Vietnam?
The first thing you should remember is to choose a suitable motorbike, both for the road and for your body, otherwise it will be very dangerous. Here are 4 types of motorbikes to rent in Vietnam, with their advantages and disadvantages, making it easier for you to pick from:
Large displacement motorcycle
As the name suggests, this vehicle is very powerful and can go in complex terrain such as passes, hills, mountain slopes, extremely suitable for long-distance exploration activities. The disadvantage is that this bike has a rather hard steering wheel, requiring riding experience, so renting a motorbike in Vietnam with a Large displacement won’t be too suitable for the first time riders.
Manual transmission motorcycle
This is the type of vehicle that can be seen the most on the streets of Vietnam, with a compact shape that is easily suitable for many types of terrain. This bike is relatively easy to ride even for beginners, saving fuel, having a cheap rental price and is available in almost any rental place, although the trunk is small so you can’t put much of anything in it.
Automatic transmission motorcycle
When renting a motorbike in Vietnam, this motorbike is especially easy to use, bringing comfort to riders, because you don’t have to use the foot to adjust the speed but only the hand. The trunk is also quite large, convenient for you to store things when traveling, has leg placing and soft tubeless tires, which help you be able to get to the repair place if you run by a nail.
Using a fuel-efficient 50cc engine, this is a compact means of transportation in crowded city streets with a weight of only about 90 - 100kg. Cub 50 only consumes about 1.8l - 2.5l of gasoline per a distance of 100km, and does not require a driver’s license, suitable for those who want to go on a day tour and stop a lot.
2 - Tips for renting a motorbike in Vietnam
- Motorbike rental price:
+ One day: 80,000 - 200,000 VND / day ($3.5 - 8.74)
+ Long-term: 500,000 - 800,000 VND / week ($21.86 - 35)
+ Large displacement motorcycle: over 500,000 VND / day ($22)
- Procedures / documents when renting a bike: Some motorbike rental places in Vietnam will ask you to provide your ID card or driver’s license if you want to rent one, or your passport if you are a foreigner. Ideally, you should keep your driver’s license (if any) in case there is a problem with the Vietnam traffic police while on the road. The lessor will make a contract for renting a motorbike in Vietnam when you receive the motorbike. You also should check the papers carefully, to avoid the bike owner giving false ones by mistake or intentionally.
+ Carefully check the lights, turn signals, tires, front and rear brakes, gasoline,... then take pictures to verify with the owner before receiving the motorbike.
+ Test drive 1 lap to see if it works fine, or if the chain is not duplicated.
+ Find out the gas station near you to make sure if gas runs out it can be filled.
+ While traveling, if you encounter problems such as damages, you should call the place where you rent a motorbike in Vietnam. Notify them about the problem and ask for help immediately, do not repair the bike yourself to avoid unexpected situations.
II - Best places for renting a motorbike in Vietnam
1 - Renting a motorbike in Hanoi
There are countless shops for motorbike rental in Hanoi, especially around the Old Quarter area, and Hanoi West Lake. Below are some suggestions:
Hanoi motorbike rental
- Address: No.38 Tho Xuong Street, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem District
- Price: 80,000 - 1,100,000 VND / day ($3.5 - 48.1)
- Contact: 0856 080 636
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/dichvuchothuexemayhanoi
Gia Hung motorbike rental
- Address: No.41 Ngo Huyen Street, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem District
- Price: 183,000 - 1,258,000 VND / day ($8 - 55)
- Contact: 0936 345 123
- Website: http://giahungmotorbikerental.com/
13535 motorbike rental
- Address: No.55 Ham Long Street, Hang Bai Ward, Hoan Kiem District
- Price: 130,000 - 1,500,000 VND / day ($5.68 - 65.6)
- Contact: 0988 717 016 - 088 661 3535
- Website: https://thuexemayhanoi.vn/en/
2 - Renting a motorbike in Vietnam central region - Danang city
Source: @Minh Motorbike Rental
If you want to self-explore every corner of Danang city and Hoi An ancient town, here are some Danang motorbike rental shops:
Binh Minh motorbike rental
- Address: No.36 Ta My Duat Street, An Hai Bac Ward, Son Tra District
- Price: 80,000 - 160,000 VND / day ($3.5 - 7)
- Contact: 0986 862 986
- Website: https://dichvuthuexedanang.com/
Gia Huy motorbike rental
- Address: No.6 Tran Cao Van Street, Tam Thuan Ward, Thanh Khe District
- Price: 80,000 - 150,000 VND / day ($3.5 - 6.56)
- Contact: 0903 529 586
- Website: https://atdanang.com/
Gia Huy Tripbike
- Address: No.82/112, Tran Cao Van Street, Tam Thuan Ward, Thanh Khe District
- Price: 100,000 - 160,000 VND / day ($4.37 - 7)
- Contact: 0905 616 552
- Website: https://tripbike.net/
3 - Renting a motorbike in Vietnam’s southern region - in Ho Chi Minh City
Top places for renting a motorbike for those who want to visit Ho Chi Minh city Vietnam:
- Address: No.26 Alley 353/2, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1
- Price: 50,000 - 400,000 VND / day ($2.2 - 17.5)
- Contact: 093 88 20 813
- Website: https://thuemoto.com/
Ho Chi Minh motorbike rental
- Address: No.21 Alley 115, Le Van Sy Street, Ward 13, Phu Nhuan District
- Price: 183,000 - 1,258,000 VND / day ($8 - 55)
- Contact: 0909 269 732 - 0908 959 723
- Website: https://chothuexemayhcm.com/
- Address: No.5A Alley182, De Tham Street, Cau Ong Lanh Ward, District 1
- Price: 100,000 - 200,000 VND / day ($4.37 - 8.74)
- Contact: 0909 283 280
- Website: http://dragonbiketours.com/
III - Notes for driving after renting a motorbike in Vietnam
Some provisions of the Law that you should remember when traveling by motorbike in Vietnam are to stay in the right lane, pay attention to the maximum speed, obey the signs, lights and traffic police,… You must also remember to wear a helmet, not only because this is in the law but it will also ensure your safety, especially on crowded streets or difficult mountain roads in Vietnam.
In addition, as mentioned at the start, the road infrastructure here is still underdeveloped so there will be shortcomings, if you encounter crowded intersections without specific instructions, just follow the locals.
Vietnam motorbike rental is a great way to start your own journey, however, to save the best memories you need to plan and schedule the stopovers and the itinerary.
When traveling by motorbike, especially in Vietnam, you will be completely in control about the time, stops, and easily weave into places that cars normally cannot reach. Particularly, for those who love adventure and discovery, there is nothing like driving through the forest, the mountains and the bumpy passes, reaching distant lands and visiting ethnic villages.
Hopefully with the above reliable addresses for renting a motorbike in Vietnam you will have a great time in this S-shaped land.