Trang An Vietnam is part of Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex is one of the must-visit destinations in Ninh Binh City, featuring a splendid array of beautiful places such as Khong Cace, Trinh Pagoda, Vu Lam Palace, Suoi Tien Temple,...
I - How to get to Trang An from Hanoi?
This tourist spot is located in Ninh Binh Province - about 90km from Hanoi and 7km from Ninh Binh City. From Hanoi, you can easily get here by limousine and by motorbike.
1 - Traveling by limousine
Traveling by limousine - Source: Limousinevn
Travel time is about 2 - 2.5 hours. You can refer to the following limousine companies
Trang An Limousine
- Address: No.131 Pho Vong Street, Dong Tam Ward, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi
- Pick-up point and drop-off point: depend on guest’s requirement
- Price: 150,000 VND/ ticket ($6.6)
- Contact: 1900 0336
- Website: https://xetrangan.vn
Ninh Binh Limousine to Trang An from Hanoi
- Address: No.32 Bat Su Street, Hang Bo Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Pick-up and drop-off point: depend on guest’s requirement
- Price: 150,000 VND / ticket ($6.6)
- Contact: 0839 292 688
- Website: https://ninhbinhcar.com
Khanh An Limousine
- Pick-up point: Central circus - No.67-69 Tran Nhan Tong Street, Le Dai Hanh Ward, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi
- Drop-off point: Trang An boat wharf
- Price: 135,000 VND / ticket ($6)
- Contact: 1900 8629
- Website: https://booking.khanhanlimousine.com
2 - Traveling by motorbike
Traveling by motorbike is extremely interesting - Source: Tigitmotorbikes
You can follow the route along Highway 1A within the distance of 120km to reach Ninh Binh City. It is quite easy to follow this way to get to Trang An Ninh Binh in about 2 driving hours (The detailed itinerary is available on Google map). You can park the motorbike in a parking lot opposite the boat wharf. After that, you should stroll around the area for 5 to 10 minutes to sightsee the surrounding scenery.
II - What is expected to see in Trang An boat tours?
The beauty of nature - Source: Cozyvietnamtravel
The best way to discover this spot is by boat (follow one out of three fixed routes below) or by kayak (follow one out of two fixed routes).
Good to know:
- Fee (include entrance fee + boat ticket & exclude kayak boat fee): 250,000 VND / adult ($11) and 120,000 VND / child ($6)
- Private boat ticket: 1,250,000 VND / boat (a boat can carry 4-5 people)
- Trang An boat tour opening hours: 7am - 5pm
- The cost of three routes is the same, visitors can pick up one in three, then inform the desired route to the boatman/ boatwoman so that he/ she will follow that route.
- The boat starts rowing only when there are enough people in the boat (4-5 people). Otherwise, you can pay extra money for the boatman/ boatwoman to start the journey or find one more group to fit the boat capacity.
- Each Trang An boat trip features different stopovers, of which there are onshore ones that you can decide to pay a visit to or not. The site where you are dropped off to go onshore may not be the same as the one you are picked up to continue the trip; therefore, remember to ask the boatman/ boatwoman about the place and time you will get into the boat.
1 - Trang An boat tour route 1
Length: 3.5 hours' rowing
Hop-on Hop-off spots: 9 caves (Dark Cave, Bright Cave, Moonshine Cave, Ba Giot Cave, Seo Cave, Son Duong Cave, Khong Cave, Tran Cave, and Quy Hau Cave) and 3 temples (Trinh Temple, Khong Temple, and Bao Hieu Pagoda)
This Trang An best route is recommended for those who love exploring, discovering Vietnamese Dynasties’ histories and backbone trouble-free. However, be aware, some of the caves may be submerged during rainy days and can not be approached.
Dark Cave, Light Cave, Seo Cave, and Ba Got Cave
Dark Cave is about 320m long, making it the longest cave in route 1 with winding shape, cool fresh air, and almost no light inside the cave, which creates the mysterious vibe for the cave. Light Cave is a small one in Trang An Vietnam with a length of about 100m with layers of magnificent iridescent stalactites, many of which are up to 12m high, making the cave just like a glowing palace.
Four caves Seo Cave, Ba Got Cave, Bright Cave, and Dark Cave symbolize four seasons, four directions to the East, West, South, and North, which makes a harmonious combination between nature and the universe.
About 70m long, Khong Cave in Trang An Ninh Binh used to be the military warehouse and weaponry workshop during the French and American war in Vietnam. In Khong Cave, Khong Palace lies on a narrow land and leaning on the mouth of Khong Cave with the steep rocks on the right-hand side of the palace and opposite the vast water. Khong Palace was built to pay a tribute to the seven loyal mandarins under the reign of Emperor Dinh Tien Hoang.
This Trang An pagoda located at the foot of the mountain in the ideal position “lean against the mountain and face the water” is now more than 100 years old. The pagoda was constructed to worship four great generals in the Dinh Dynasty. Here is also a “historic witness” in the conflict between the Dinh dynasty and Le Dynasty.
2 - Route 2
Length: 2.5 hours' rowing
Hop-on Hop-off spots: 4 caves of Trang An grottoes (Lam Cave, Vang Cave, and Thanh Truot Cave, Dai Cave), 3 temples (Thanh Cao Son Temple, Hanh Cung Vu Lam Temple, and Suoi Tien Temple). This is a popular route chosen for its reasonable timing, recommended for the elderly and the family with kids.
Suoi Tien Temple
Every year on March 18th, a traditional festival is held in Trang An Scenic Landscape Complex and in Suoi Tien Temple as well with a variety of special activities imbued with cultural and historical features of Vietnam.
Thanh Truot Cave
Thanh Truot Cave is considered as one of the most beautiful caves in this route with a length of about 300m, featuring unique shaped stalactites such as petals, elephant’s leg, etc. which are very eye-catching.
Hanh Cung Vu Lam Temple
Hanh Cung Vu Lam was a military base under the Tran Dynasty in the war with the Mongol invaders in the 13th century.
3 - Trang An boat tour route 3
Length: 3 hour’s rowing
Hop-on Hop-off spots: 3 caves (Dot Cave, Dia Linh Cave, and May Cave), and 3 temples (Trinh Temple, Hanh Cung Vu Lam Temple, and Suoi Tien Temple). This is a combination of routes 1 and 2, it is a lovely choice for cave lovers and cultural learning.
With a length of more than 1000 meters, Dot Cave is one of the most stunning and longest caves in Trang An Vietnam, featuring the special characteristics inside the cave with a myriad of extremely mesmerizing stalactites, which are bright and iridescent in the reflection of the flashlight.
Trinh Temple located at the foot of the mountain in the ideal position “lean against the mountain and face the water” is now more than 100 years old and has been restored and repaired numerous times. The temple is quite spacious and gorgeous in a nail shape and its gate is decorated with two kneeling elephant statues on both sides. In front of the temple are two large stone carps representing a happy and tranquil life.
4 - Kayak route
If you want to explore Trang An Ninh Binh Vietnam by kayak, there are two fixed routes for you to consider:
Trang An boat wharf - Trinh Temple - Tam Quan Gate - the mouth of Hang Toi (Dark Cave) - the mouth of Quy Hau Cave - Jade Mountain)
Round trip distance: 8km
Activities: check-in surrounding scenery when being in the boat and take photos under the Indian Almond tree (Terminalia catappa) near Tam Quan Gate and visit Trinh Temple.
Trang An boat wharf - Kong Island - Thuy Dinh - Vu Lam Palace
Round trip distance: 5km
Activities: check-in surrounding scenery when being in the boat, Thuy Dinh, discover the history of Vu Lam Palace, etc.
Note: You can buy a ticket for kayaking with the range of price below:
- Option 1: 250,000 VND/ single kayak/ 2 hours ($11)
- Option 2: 300,000 VND/ single kayak/ 3 hours ($13)
- Option 3: 350,000 VND/ double kayak/ 2 hours ($15)
- Option 4: 400,000 VND/ double kayak/ 3 hours ($17)
III - Tips for traveling in Trang An Vietnam
1 - When is the best time to visit Trang An Ninh Binh?
The greenery of the complex - Source: Rowan Heuvel
The best times to come here are in Spring from lunar January to March when Ninh Binh weather is cool and fresh with light wind and there are numerous festivals welcoming a New Year, and in summer from April to June when lotuses are in full bloom and you have a chance to explore the beautiful golden paddy fields.
2 - Ninh Binh Trang An accommodation
Trang An River View Homestay
- Address: Truong Yen Commune, Hoa Lu District, Ninh Binh Province - 2.8 km from the complex
- Contact: 098 546 96 08
- Price: 180,000 VND/ night/ room ($8)
- Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/thugiang266
Trang An Central Homestay
- Address: Ninh Hoa Commune, Hoa Lu District, Ninh Binh Province - 2.6 km from the complex
- Contact: 096 873 94 42
- Price: 250,000 VND/ night/ room ($11)
- Website: https://trangancentralhomestay.vn
Trang An Retreat
- Address: Truong Yen Commune, Hoa Lu District, Ninh Binh Province - 1.8 km from the complex
- Contact: 084 898 743 863
- Price: 798,000 VND/ room/ night ($35)
- Website: https://tranganretreat.com
You may need: Top-rated hotels in Ninh Binh
3 - Top Trang An restaurants & food
Besides the fascinating landscape, Ninh Binh is distinguished by its specialties. Mountain Goat Meat and Scorched rice are typical dishes popularly remembered by travelers.
Goat meat marinated in lemon juice
Serving in different dishes like smoky-grilled, stir-fried, and hotpot, Lemon Juice marinated goat meat is the most popular selection since its tender and juicy flavors.
Visiting the Trang An Complex, you should not miss the scorched rice. The crunchy rice is slightly burned rice at the bottom of the cooking pot. Subsequent by several skillful cooking steps with confidential ingredients and recipes, make it a yellow and crispy snack. Topped with pork floss served with a bowl of delicate mushroom soup.
Mountain Goat Meat and Scorched rice are served at any restaurant in the location.
Below are the list of top restaurants near Trang An Vietnam
Trang An Riverside Garden Restaurant
- Address: Ninh Xuan Commune, Hoa Lu District - 1.6km from the complex
- Opening hours: 9am - 8pm
- Price: 100,000 -500,000 VND ($4.4 - 22)
- Contact: 0377 469 882
Goat meat restaurant Chinh Thu
- Address: Khe Thuong Village, Ninh Xuan Commune, Hoa Lu District - 1.8km from Trang An Ninh Binh
- Opening hours: 7:30am - 10pm
- Price: 50,000 - 500,000 VND ($2.2 - 22)
- Contact: 094 842 68 82
Monalisa Bar & Restaurant
- Address: Ninh Xuan Commune, Hoa Lu District - 2.1km from the complex
- Opening hours: 10am - 11pm
- Price: 50,000 - 450,000 VND ($2.2 - 20)
- Contact: 097 663 68 16
4 - Where to visit near Trang An in Ninh Binh?
Source: Minh Tran
Hoa Lu Ancient Capital
Strategically established for the defending purpose, surrounded by hundred steep and vertical massifs of the cliff, Hoa Lu was the capital of two sequential dynasties of Dinh and Le in the 10th and 11th centuries. The two adjacent temples were erected to honor the kings, royal lines, and followers of the two dynasties.
- Address: Truong Yen Commune, Hoa Lu District - 4.5 km away from Trang An boat wharf.
- Entrance fee: 20,000 VND ($1.9) / person
Mua Cave (Dancing Cave)
Challenge yourself with steep 500 steps, reaching to the top of the Mua mountains. The attraction recognized for its peak offers extraordinary panoramic views of the breathtaking Tam Coc valley, permeating by Ngo Dong river through rich limestone karsts and yellow-green paddy fields than the Mua Cave.
- Address: Khe Dau Ha Village, Ninh Xuan Commune, Hoa Lu District, 4.6 km away from Trang An Vietnam boat wharf.
- Entrance fee: 100,000 VND / person ($4.5)
Bai Dinh Pagoda
Bai Dinh pagoda - Source: Nguyen Dung
Boosting the largest religious complex in Southeast Asia, the Bai Dinh pagoda complex comprised an ancient pagoda and a newly built giant splendid pagoda. Whilst the ancient one is privileged to Buddhist worship, the newly built for tourists.
- Address: Gia Sinh Commune, Gia Vien District, Ninh Binh Province
- Entrance fee: free entry, electric cars rental fee 30,000 VND ($1.3)/ person/ way.
5 - Trang An map
Overall, Trang An Vietnam is a worth - visit scenic beauty spot in Vietnam, which attracts any visitor by its spectacular view with towering limestone karsts, tropical plants, emerald fields, and a myriad of glorious and stunning caves accompanied by historical temples.