Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States was established in August 1997 with basic functions such as promoting cultural relations between Vietnam and the US, supporting and protecting the Vietnamese community in the US, serving the economic development of the country, uniformly managing foreign affairs, managing facilities as well as staff currently operating at the agency, promoting defense - security, and politics - society relations.
I - Vietnam embassy in the US & services for American travelers to Vietnam
1 - Vietnam tourist Visa for American citizens
Visitors can apply for a visa at the consular office of the Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States in Washington D.C., 1233 20th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036.
Vietnam visa - Source: Vietnamembassy
- 01 online visa application form. You can go to the website http://visa.mofa.gov.vn and fill out all the information, then print the declaration and sign it. In case you cannot apply for a visa online, you can go directly to the Vietnam embassy in Washington DC and use the available form.
- Passport (original or copy version). Note that this document must be valid for at least 6 months from the date you are expected to enter Vietnam. In case you are a Vietnamese American with a Green card (permanent residence card), you can apply for visa exemption procedures for Vietnamese people residing overseas at the Vietnam embassy in the US.
- One 4cm x 6cm (2 inches x 2 inches) photo. Note that photos must be taken within the last 06 months, against a white background, eyes straight, bare head, no colored glasses, and hair not covering ears. In the case of tourists submitting a copy of the passport for the purpose of receiving a separate visa (issued into a separate sheet to include the passport), 02 photos must be submitted.
- Fees: you can pay fees by Credit Card / Visa Card / Master Card when submitting your application at the Embassy of Vietnam in the US.
2 - Visa exemption at the Vietnam embassy in the US
This is a valid entry and exit document to Vietnam issued to overseas Vietnamese or foreign tourists who are spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens. It can replace a Vietnam arrival visa for the purpose of handling private affairs or visiting relatives
Visa exemption at the Vietnamese embassy in the US - Source: Internet
The visa exemption certificate has the longest period of 5 years which is 6 months shorter than the validity period of a passport or foreign residence document. It is also important to note that when entering Vietnam with a visa exemption certificate, you can stay in Vietnam for no more than 6 months in each entry, and be extended for up to 6 months if there is a justifiable reason.
Before going to the Vietnam embassy in the US for visa exemption service, you should prepare dossiers including:
Case 1: For Vietnamese people residing in the United States:
- Application form for visa exemption (completed online via website http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/, printed out, stuck with a photo on)
- 02 photos size 4cm x 6cm in which 01 photo is glued to the application form, 01 photo is attached to the form.
- Passport or passport replacement document is valid for at least 1 year. You have to submit the original and 1 copy, then the Embassy of Vietnam in the USA will keep the copy and return the original after pasting the visa exemption certificate.
- Papers proving that the tourist is Vietnamese residing abroad (the original and submit 01 copy for filing). The embassy will return the original after checking and keep a copy of your dossier.
Case 2: For foreigners who are spouses, children of Vietnamese people residing abroad, or of Vietnamese citizens:
- Application form for issuance of Visa exemption certificate (online at http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/ or fill in the available form at Vietnam embassy in Washington DC), sign and paste photo on the form.
- 02 images sized 4cm x 6cm (2 inches x 2 inches). Note that the photo has a white background, no hat, no colored glasses, and straight eyes. Out of 02 photos, 01 will be glued to the form, 01 will be attached to the form.
- Foreign passport or alternative travel document.
- Presenting the original version of the documents proving the applicant is the spouse or the child of a Vietnamese citizen or a Vietnamese residing in the United States. For example, marriage certificates, birth certificates, paternity certificates, and mother-child relationship certificates are suitable.
3 - Vietnam embassy in the US and travel documents
If you are residing in the United States for a limited time while holding a Vietnamese passport but unfortunately lost or no longer valid, you can apply for a travel document to return home.
- In case your passport is lost, the application must be submitted as a report of loss of passport (note with confirmation from the local authority)
- In case of a damaged passport: you need to provide originals and copies without notarization (note to take photos of pages showing identity details, date of issue, issuing authority, passport number, visa page entering the United States Latest period)
- Application form (can be obtained from the Embassy of Vietnam in the US)
- Copies of documents proving the tourist is residing in the United States issued by the US Immigration Service (I-20, DS-2019, I-797A)
- Fee: You pay with a money order or cashier's check for the Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States
II - Further information about the Vietnam embassy in the US
Vietnamese Embassy in Washington - Source: Internet
1 - Contact information
- Address: Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States D.C, 1233 20th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington DC 20036.
- Hotline: (202) 999-6589
- Email: email@example.com
- Ambassador: Mr. Ha Kim Ngoc
2 - Day offs of the Embassy of Vietnam in the US
The Vietnam embassy does not work every Saturday and Sunday and public holidays in the US. In addition, on major Vietnamese holidays such as the Lunar New Year, Hung King Commemoration Day, Vietnam Independence Day, the embassy also takes a break from work.
3 - The Vietnam consulate in San Francisco
The Consulate General of Vietnam in the US was established in October 1997. Currently, this agency accomplishes some main missions such as:
- Promoting the comprehensive cooperation relationship between the two countries Vietnam and the United States, especially the West Bank states.
- Resolving consular procedures related to Vietnamese people as well as conducting civil protection work within the assigned consular area.
=> Details of the consulates are shown as follows:
Consulate General of Vietnam in San Francisco:
- Address: 1700 California Street, Suite 580, San Francisco, CA 94109
- Hotline: +1 415-922-0707 or +1 415-922-1238
+ Planning and Investment Office:
Hotline: (415) 712 5090
+ Vietnam Trade Office in the USA:
Hotline: (415) 990 2636
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
+ Science and Technology Representative Office:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Above is our introduction to the Vietnam embassy in the US. Hopefully, you are provided with beneficial information to prepare for traveling to Vietnam.