I - Regions of Vietnam: Northern area
Mu Cang Chai - Source: Fantasea
1 - Geography and climate
Northern Vietnam includes provinces in the northern part of Thanh Hoa province. The North has 23 provinces and 2 cities under the command of the central government - Hanoi and Hai Phong city.
This region of Vietnam is divided into 3 small territories:
- Northwest region (including 6 provinces: Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Dien Bien, Hoa Binh, Lai Chau, Son La). This area is mainly located on the right bank of the Red River. Particularly, Lao Cai and Yen Bai are sometimes still classified in the northeast sub-region.
- Northeast region (including 9 provinces: Ha Giang, Cao Bang, Bac Kan, Lang Son, Tuyen Quang, Thai Nguyen, Phu Tho, Bac Giang, Quang Ninh.)
- Red River Delta (including 10 provinces: Bac Ninh, Ha Nam, Hanoi, Hai Duong, Hai Phong, Hung Yen, Nam Dinh, Ninh Binh, Thai Binh, Vinh Phuc.)
Located in the monsoon tropical climate zone, Northern region of Vietnam is characterized by hot & humid weather in summer, dry and cold weather in winter, spring with cold winds & drizzles, autumn is warm and a bit dry.
- Spring (from February to April): the temperature ranges from 20 to 21°C
- Summer (from May to July): the temperature ranges from 34 to 40°C
- Autumn (from August to October): the temperature is around 30°C
- Winter (from November to January): the temperature is about 15°C
3 - Best places to visit
Best places to visit in the northern region in Vietnam are:
- Hanoi: The heart of Northern Vietnam is a must-visit destination. Top attractions to visit are Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi Old Quarter, Hanoi Imperial Citadel, One Pillar Pagoda, Ba Dinh Square, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum,... are top points of interest in Hanoi.
- Sapa town - Lao Cai: Fansipan Peak (the Roof of Indochina), Ham Rong Mountain, Y Ty rice terraces, Muong Hoa valley, Silver waterfall, local villages of Hmong people, Dzao people and the Love markets are great places to visit.
- Ha Giang: The Ha Giang loop tour by motorbike covers the most breathtaking sceneries and attractions in the mountainous region is highly recommended. The winding pass, Dong Van rocky plateau, Tu San abyss, peach & plum blossom forests and ethnic minorities with unique culture are top things to see.
Other top destinations to travel in the North: Mai Chau, Moc Chau valley, Ban Gioc waterfall, Halong bay and Ninh Binh.
II - 3 Regions of Vietnam: Central area
Hue imperial city - Source: VnExpress
1 - Geography and climate
The Central region has 18 provinces and 1 city under the command of the central government - Da Nang city.
Including 3 sub-regions:
- North Central: Ha Tinh, Nghe An, Quang Binh, Quang Tri, Thanh Hoa, Thua Thien Hue
- South Central Coast: Binh Dinh, Binh Thuan, Da Nang, Khanh Hoa, Ninh Thuan, Phu Yen, Quang Nam, Quang Ngai
- Central Highland: Daklak, Daknong, Gia Lai, Kontum, Lam Dong
Climate in the Central region in Vietnam
Central Vietnam has the most diversified terrain and climate.
- The North Central weather is similar to the Northern region with 4 seasons in a year. This area is especially affected by the Foehn wind from Laos. The summer is longer and hotter than the North.
- The South Central Coast & Central Highland have 2 seasons (dry and rainy season) - the weather and climate characteristics are the same in the Southern region.
The Central region of Vietnam is the most affected by storms and floods in Vietnam.
2 - Best places to visit in the Central region
This region of Vietnam is undeniable a beach paradise. Da Nang, Nha Trang, Phu Yen, Hoi An are the home to the most stunning beaches in Vietnam. Hoi An ancient town and Hue city are so famous for long-standing culture and cuisine. Quang Binh province is the center of the most beautiful caves in Vietnam. And the Central Highland area is famous for a peaceful Dalat city, waterfalls and mountains, many ethnic communities, and the land of coffee and pepper.
III - Three regions of Vietnam: Southern area
Vung Tau city - Source: Internet
1 - Geography and climate
The South Vietnam has 17 provinces and 2 cities under the command of the central government: Ho Chi Minh City and Can Tho city.
There are 2 sub-regions: Southeast & Southwest.
- Southeast: Ba Ria – Vung Tau, Binh Duong, Binh Phuoc, Dong Nai, Sai Gon, Tay Ninh
- Southwest (Mekong Delta): An Giang, Ben Tre, Bac Lieu, Ca Mau, Can Tho, Dong Thap, Hau Giang, Kien Giang, Long An, Soc Trang, Tien Giang, Tra Vinh, Vinh Long
There are 2 seasons: rainy season and dry season. In the rainy season, the rainfall accounts for 80% of the total rainfall. In the dry season, the dry and hot weather can cause water shortages. The average annual temperature is about 30°C.
2 - Top things to experience in Southern region in Vietnam
This is a great region to visit and experience. The Mekong delta is famous for the vibrant floating markets and lush orchards. The offshore islands such as Con Dao island, Phu Quoc island are the best places for beach vacations. Ho Chi Minh city - the center of the South, is the hub of entertainment and diverse cuisines.
In general, 3 regions of Vietnam with unique and diverse features in terrain and climate create a wonderful Vietnam. The landscapes and cultures in each region are the most attractive things to see and explore.