Vietnam e-Visa has been piloted since February 1, 2017, and officially took effect from July 1, 2020, creating favorable conditions for tourists traveling to Vietnam. When entering Vietnam with e-Visa, there is no need to have a letter of invitation to guarantee as previously prescribed. All international visitors with valid passports from the countries listed can apply for a visa directly online. The Vietnam Immigration Department can directly issue visas to foreigners, helping to reduce time, procedures and intermediary stages,...
I - What is Vietnam e-Visa?
Entering vietnam with e visa - Source: vietnamplus
E-Visa for Vietnam is a legal document that is self-printed from the file issued by the Immigration Department, allowing foreigners to enter the country. After completing the online application procedure and paying the prescribed fee, the foreigner applicant will receive a visa sent through the electronic transaction system. This type of visa has been piloted by Vietnam for foreigners since 2017, and officially took effect from July 1, 2020. Vietnam e-Visa is valid for one time up to 30 days, accompanying with a list of international border gates that accept it, and the countries that apply including: Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgarian, Canada, Chile, China (accepting Hong Kong & Macau passports), Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Marshall Island, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Myanmar, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Salomon Islands, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Timor Leste, United Arab Emirates,UK, Uruguay, USA, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Western Samoa.
II - How to apply for Vietnam e-Visa?
1 - Vietnam e-Visa requirements
Official website for Vietnam e visa application - Source: @evisa.xuatnhapcanh
- Foreigners abroad who are citizens of countries that are granted electronic visas, according to the regulations of the Government of Vietnam.
- Having a valid passport.
- Not falling into the case of not allowing entry specified in Article 21 of the Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
2 - Vietnam e-Visa application & search process
Only applicable to foreigners who are abroad and want to apply for an electronic visa to Vietnam.
Preparation of applying for e-Visa for Vietnam
- Passport valid for minimum of 6 months from the date of entry into Vietnam, with a at least 2 blank pages;
- 1 passport photo (size 4x6cm and taken within the last 6 months)
- Soft copy of passport photo and personal data page
- Accepted payment methods
- Payment fee of $25
Vietnam e-Visa registration process
- Visit the website https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn, select “e-Visa” and then choose “For foreigners”;
- Read the instructions, confirm having read it and then select “Next” to continue;
- Upload the photo and personal data page in your passport, then fill in your personal information according to the instructions. Information includes:
+ Full name
+ Date of birth
+ Current nationality
+ Passport number, type and expiration date
+ Expected date of entry
+ Estimated length of stay
+ Purpose of entry
+ Expected address of stay in Vietnam
+ Border gates (both entry and exit);
- Verify the accuracy of the information entered above, save the Registration code received afterwards and continue to the payment section;
- Enter the required patent information and then confirm to complete.
Checking Vietnam e-Visa result
- Normally, Vietnam e visa processing time is within 3 days, so after waiting for this period of time, you can check the result;
- Access the website https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/tra-cuu-ho-so;
- Fill in the registration code, email, date of birth and captcha;
- If the request has been approved, download and print the e-Visa.
Notes for applying Vietnam e-Visa
If you fill in the wrong information, the e-Visa card is considered invalid. You will not receive a refund or be able to re-enter the information, but have to re-register from the beginning instead. So please check to make sure the information is 100% correct before confirming.
3 - Vietnam e visa cost & payment
- Fee: $25 / registration
You will have to pay the e-Visa fee via an online payment platform - one of the four listed on the website including credit card, Paypal, Western Union and Exim Bank.
III - How to enter Vietnam by e-Visa?
1 - Border gates in Vietnam accept e-Visa
Dung Quat seaport - Source: vietnambiz
Vietnam e-Visa by seaway
- Cam Pha Port (Cua Ong Ward, Cam Pha City, Quang Ninh Province)
- Chan May Port (Phu Nhuan Ward, Hue City, Thua Thien Hue Province)
- Da Nang Port (Thach Thang Ward, Hai Chau District, Da Nang City)
- Dung Quat Port (Binh Thuan Commune, Binh Son District, Quang Ngai Province)
- Duong Dong Port (Duong Dong Ward, Phu Quoc City, Kien Giang Province)
- Hai Phong Port (May To Ward, Ngo Quyen District, Hai Phong City)
- Hon Gai Port (Tuan Chau Ward, Ha Long City, Quang Ninh Province)
- Nghi Son Port (Nghi Son Commune, Nghi Son Town, Thanh Hoa Province)
- Nha Trang Port (Vinh Hoa Ward, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa Province)
- Ports Of Ho Chi Minh City (All International seaports in Ho Chi Minh City)
- Quy Nhon Port (Hai Cang Ward, Quy Nhon City, Binh Dinh Province)
- Vung Ang Port (Ky Loi Commune, Ky Anh Town, Ha Tinh Province)
- Vung Tau Port (Phu My Town - Vung Tau City, Ba Ria - Vung Tau Province)
Vietnam e-Visa by airway
- Cam Ranh Airport (Cam Hai Dong Ward, Cam Ranh City, Khanh Hoa Province)
- Can Tho Airport (Tra An Ward, Binh Thuy District, Can Tho City)
- Cat Bi Airport (Thanh To Ward, Hai An District, Hai Phong City)
- Danang Airport (Hoa Thuan Tay Ward, Hai Chau District, Da Nang City)
- Noi Bai Airport (Phu Minh Commune, Soc Son District, Hanoi City)
- Phu Bai Airport (Phu Bai Ward, Huong Thuy Town, Thua Thien Hue Province)
- Phu Quoc Airport (Duong To Commune, Phu Quoc District, Kien Giang Province)
- Tan Son Nhat Airport (Ward 2, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City)
Vietnam e-Visa by roadway
- Bo Y Border Gate (Po Y Commune, Ngoc Hoi District, Kon Tum Province)
- Cau Treo Border Gate (Son Kim 1 Commune, Huong Son District, Ha Tinh Province)
- Cha Lo Border Gate (Dan Hoa Commune, Minh Hoa District, Quang Binh Province)
- Ha Tien Border Gate (My Duc Ward, Ha Tien City, Kien Giang Province)
- Huu Nghi Border Gate (Dong Dang Town, Cao Loc District, Lang Son Province)
- La Lay Border Gate (A Ngo Commune, Dakrong District, Quang Tri Province)
- Lao Bao Border Gate (Lao Bao Town, Huong Hoa District, Quang Tri Province)
- Lao Cai Border Gate (Lao Cai Ward - City - Province)
- Moc Bai Border Gate (Loi Thuan Commune, Ben Cau District, Tay Ninh Province)
Vietnam e-Visa by Mong Cai border gate - Source: vnexpress
- Mong Cai Border Gate (Hoa Lac Ward, Mong Cai City, Quang Ninh Province)
- Na Meo Border Gate (Na Meo Commune, Quan Son District, Thanh Hoa Province)
- Nam Can Border Gate (Nam Can Commune, Ky Son District, Nghe An Province)
- Song Tien Border Gate (Vinh Xuong Commune, Tan Chau District, An Giang Province)
- Tay Trang Border Gate (Ka Hau Village, Na U Commune, Dien Bien District - Province)
- Tinh Bien Border Gate (Tinh Bien Town - District, An Giang Province)
- Xa Mat Border Gate (Tan Lap Commune, Tan Bien District, Tay Ninh Province)
2 - The process of entering Vietnam by e-Visa
To be considered for immigration processing, you must present a valid passport and a printed copy of your e-Visa to the inspector at the border.
IV - Frequently asked questions about Vietnam e-Visa
1 - How long should I apply for an e-Visa before coming to Vietnam?
International tourists visiting Vietnam - Source: kinhtevadubao
Usually it only takes 3 days to process the application, but applying 2 - 3 weeks in advance is most appropriate, in case of overload.
2 - What if my name is too long or contains special characters?
Write your full name on the ICAO line on the passport data page.
3 - After successful e-Visa registration, do I need to do any more procedures to come to Vietnam?
No. You just need to wait about 3 - 4 days and check again, then print the results if there is a successful registration confirmation.
4 - Is it possible to apply for a Vietnam e-Visa for a group at the same time?
No. Each registration can only be applied to 1 person.
5 - Is it possible to stay in Vietnam longer than the time on the e-Visa?
Yes. After entering Vietnam with an e-Visa, you can request an agency / organization / individual in Vietnam to guarantee your stay and apply for a new visa on your behalf at the Vietnam Immigration Department according to Section 1, Article 16 of the Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
6 - What to do when you want to change the entry gate?
You cannot change the port of entry after you have registered. If you want to change it, you have to re-register from the beginning and pay the fee again.
Vietnam e-Visa is an extremely convenient service, reducing time and effort for both foreigners and related administrative units. This will also make it easier for tourists to visit, contributing to the development of the country’s economy. In particular, E-visa to Vietnam was reopened in March 2022 after a 2-year suspension due to Covid-19, promising to increase the number of visitors and revive the tourism industry.