Tourist visas are non-immigrant visas, usually granted under different conditions for each country. Therefore, you need to prepare all the necessary documents and follow the application procedures according to the requirements of that country. To foreign travelers, getting a tourist visa is first-important thing to do before vísiting Vietnam. For more information about tourist visa in Vientam (application, types of tourist visa, visa extension,...) please read the article below.
I - Some regulations on tourist visa in Vietnam 2022
In 2022, the regulations on tourist visas and the application of tourist visas for foreigners have changed a lot. Here are some Vietnam tourist visa updates in 2022:
- Tourist visa is a type of visa that allows foreigners to enter only for the purpose of sightseeing and tourism in Vietnam (no working or doing business purposes).
- Tourist visa has the symbol DL
- Vietnam tourist visa validity: Tourist visa is valid for no more than 3 months.
- Vietnam tourist visa 2022 only allows foreigners to stay continuously for 30 days per entry.
- Tourist visas can be extended after staying for 30 days.
- You can get a tourist visa online and can get a 1 day tourist visa with results.
II - Is a tourist visa in Vietnam mandatory for everyone?
Visa extension for a longer trip in Vietnam - Source: kinhtevadubao
Not everyone needs a Vietnam tourist passport when coming to this country, there will be some groups of people who are exempt from visas with conditions including:
- Vietnam unilaterally exempts visas for citizens of 13 countries with a stay of no more than 15 days: Belarus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, Norway, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.
- Citizens of ASEAN countries are exempt from tourist visa to Vietnam:
+ With a stay of no more than 14 days: Brunei & Myanmar;
+ With a stay of no more than 21 days: Philippines;
+ With a stay of no more than 30 days: Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Laos;
- Vietnam exempts visas for foreigners entering Phu Quoc Island with a stay of no more than 30 days; This applies to those staying at the transit area at an international border gate of Vietnam (including by air and by sea), before continuing to Phu Quoc. However, if you want to visit other places, you must apply for a tourist visa in Vietnam.
- Officials of the ASEAN Secretariat are exempted from Vietnam visas with a temporary stay of no more than 30 days, regardless of their passports.
- Citizens of Chile and Panama who do not enter for income-earning activities can stay up to 90 days.
- In addition, Vietnam has signed agreements with 90 countries on visa exemption for diplomatic passports and official passports.
There are some caveats, for example, holders of British passports abroad - BNOs are not eligible for Vietnam tourist visa exemption. You must also hold a valid passport issued by the competent authority and valid for at least 3 months from the date of entry. In addition, if you have recently arrived in Vietnam, you must wait at least 30 days to use your visa exemption rights again. Last but not least, to ensure safety against the Covid-19 epidemic, you must have a negative virus test result, have had 2 or more doses of the vaccine and be ready to be isolated according to regulations.
III - How to apply for a tourist visa to Vietnam?
1 - Electronic tourist visa to Vietnam
E-visa to Vietnam - Source: evisa.xuatnhapcanh
Vietnam e-visa is a legal document self-printed from the content licensed by the Immigration Department, valid once for up to 30 days. After completing the online procedures and paying the fee, you can track the results through the electronic file code without visiting the embassy.
Requirement for applying a tourist e-visa for Vietnam, you have to prepare:
- A valid passport with at least 6 months from expiry date and 2 blank pages
- A hard copy and soft copy of your passport photo, as well as the personal data page
- A completed & valid Vietnam tourist visa form
- Payment fee.
In addition to not belonging to the prohibited group in Article 21 of the Vietnam Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners, you must be a citizen from accepted countries for applying for an electronic tourist visa in Vietnam. Those countries include: Andorra, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgarian, Canada, Chile, China (accepting Hong Kong & Macau passports), Colombia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Fiji, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Italy, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Marshall Island, Micronesia, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Monaco, Montenegro, Myanmar, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Salomon Islands, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Timor Leste, United Arab Emirates, USA, UK, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Western Samoa.
The process to apply for an electronic tourist visa in Vietnam is quite simple, first is to visit the website: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt. You then follow the instructions, fill in the required information, save the code for later checking and pay a $25 fee via credit card, Paypal, Exim Bank or Western Union. Usually your request will be accepted within 3 days if there is no problem, you can check and print the e-visa after receiving it. When you arrive at the border gate, you just need to present your valid passport and that copy to the officer for inspection. Foreigners can apply for a self-sufficient visa and enter freely at will. Best of all, the e-visa has no limit on the number of applications.
2 - Apply directly at the Vietnamese embassy
Visa on arrival is highly recommended to tourists flying to Vietnam - Source: hanoimoi
To apply for a tourist visa in Vietnam at the Embassy in your home country, you must prepare a dossier including documents such as:
- Visa application form issued by that Vietnamese Embassy / Consulate;
- Passport valid for 6 months from the date you apply for visa;
- 2 photos of size 4x6 taken within 6 months;
- Itinerary documents of Vietnam tour if you join one;
- Proof of confirmation of round-trip airfare, hotel reservation in Vietnam.
After preparing all the above documents, you can look up the address of the Vietnamese Embassy / Consulate in your country and apply there. The normal processing time is 3 - 5 days for tourist visas with a stay of no more than 30 days, and 5 - 7 days for visas of no more than 90 days, with the prices for tourist visa in Vietnam being:
- Visa valid for one time: $25
- With valid date up to 3 months: $50
- With valid date from over 3 months - 6 months: $95
- With valid date from over 6 months - 1 year: $135
- With valid date from over 1 year - 2 years: $145
- With valid date from over 2 years - 5 years: $155
- For people under 14 years old: $25
IV - Requirements for tourist visa in Vietnam extension
Tourist visa for Vietnam - Source: vietnam-visa
Tourist visas can be extended. In case a foreigner entering Vietnam with a tourist visa and wants to stay for more than 30 days, you need to be known that:
Conditions for tourist visa extension
- Must be guaranteed by a travel agency
- Valid passport
- Still temporarily residing in Vietnam
- Not in the case of being deported or forced to leave the country.
Documents for tourist visa extension
- Original passport
- Declaration of temporary residence (photocopy)
Places for tourist visa extension: Vietnam Immigration Department
V - FAQs about tourist visa for Vietnam
1 - How many types of Vietnam tourist visas?
Popular types of tourist visa in Vietnam (available before Covid-19 situation)
- 1-month single entry visa
- 1-month multiple entry visa
- 3-month single entry visa
- 3-month multiple entry visa
Since July 1, 2020, only a 1-month single entry visa (30-day tourist visa) is available for foreigners to Vietnam. Therefore, to those who want to get a Vietnam 3 month tourist visa, you need to extend your visa. Additionally, US tourists to Vietnam have one more choice for a tourist visa - the Vietnam 1 year multiple entry visa.
2 - How to get a tourist visa for Vietnam?
- Vietnam visa on arrival (highly recommended for by-Air travelers to Vietnam)
- Vietnam embassy visa
- Vietnam e-visa (available only to citizens of 80 countries, and is valid for one month).
3 - Can you work in Vietnam on a tourist visa?
The Vietnam travel visa is only valid for tourism purposes.
4 - Can I extend my tourist visa in Vietnam?
Tourists can extend their Vietnam tourist visa via:
- Vietnam visa extension service
- Self-extend visa at the office of Vietnam Immigration Department
5 - How long is a Vietnam tourist visa valid for?
Only valid for 30 days with a single entry.
6 - How much is a Vietnam tourist visa?
The price of a tourist visa to Vietnam (service fee + stamping fee) depends on the type of visas. Normally, the price range is from $25-135.
A tourist visa to Vietnam is something that everyone is concerned about when intending to visit this country, especially when you are not in the visa-exempt group. In recent years, regulations and procedures to apply for a visa to Vietnam have been significantly simplified to match the integration trend. Hopefully, the above information has helped you to better visualize a tourist visa in Vietnam, hence avoiding administrative difficulties, language and legal differences.