Ha Tien is a small city located in the Northwest of Kien Giang province, about 350km from Ho Chi Minh city. This stunning coastal city is one of the most ideal destinations to visit in Southern Vietnam.
- Area: 100,49 km²
- Population: 48,495 people (2019)
- Tribal groups: Kinh, Chinese, Khmer,..
- Postal code: 91500
I - Where to go in Ha Tien Vietnam?
1 - Hai Tac island (Pirate Island Vietnam)
The island has such a special name because it used to be a place for pirates to hide treasures and attack passing merchant ships in the past. Consisting of 18 islands, Hai Tac archipelago is home to many pristine islands, long white sandy beaches and peaceful fishing villages. Hon Tre island is the largest and most famous island.
The best time to visit: from October to April.
Location: 28km from the mainland. From Ha Tien pier, you can take a speed boat or ferry to Hai Tac island
- By speed boat: Departure time: 8am; Travel time: 30 minutes; Ticket price: 100,000 VND/person ($4.3)
- By ferry: Departure time: 8am, 1pm; Travel time: 60 minutes; Ticket price: 50,000 VND/person ($2.15)
Mui Nai beach - Source: Internet
2 - Mui Nai beach - the most beautiful beach in Ha Tien city
Mui Nai beach (Loc Tri beach) has a mild climate all year round, with two beautiful sandy beaches, No and Bang. In which, No beach is located next to a crowded fishing village, while Bang beach has gentle gentle waves, ideal for swimming. The sea sand here is brown and the landscape is relatively unspoiled, which is a place to visit to experience and organize team-building activities.
The Mui Nai tourist area located right next to Mui Nai beach Ha Tien has a sleigh system with a total length of 1,205m. The road to the top of Ta Pang mountain is 320m long, the way down is 885m, the height difference between the up station and down station is 125m.
On the top of Ta Pang mountain, there is a view tower built at 128m above sea level, including 3 floors: 1st and 2nd floors serve coffee, soft drinks and snacks, 3rd floor is equipped with a telescope system. This is an ideal place to see the panoramic view of Mui Nai from above.
3 - Thach Dong cave & Tien Son pagoda
Thach Dong cave in Ha Tien - Source: Dalaco
Thach Dong is a large block of limestone mountains surrounded by trees with a height of about 90m. Inside the cave, there are abundant cliffs and stalactites with many strange and unique shapes. On the cave wall is the shelter of hundreds of pigeons.
At the end of the cave is an ancient pagoda - Tien Son pagoda which is considered to be built in the 18th century to worship Buddha Shakyamuni and Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara. The pagoda is made of brick walls and polished black wooden pillars. From the middle of the cave, you can see the beautiful scenery of the immense blue sea.
- Location: My Duc commune - 4km from the city center to the southeast
- Entrance fee: free of charge
4 - Da Dung mountain in Ha Tien city
Da Dung mountain has been recognized as a historical relic of Vietnam when associated with 2 heroic wars against France and America in the past. From a distance, the mountain looks like an isosceles trapezoid, and because of the steep cliffs, it is called Da Dung mountain. This 100m high mountain is home to 14 large and small caves formed due to geological changes, along with erosion and the impact of nature. Standing from the highest peak of Da Dung mountain, you can enjoy the magnificent and impressive natural scenery of Ha Tien and Cambodia that may not be available anywhere else.
- Location: My Duc ward - 2.3km from Thach Dong cave
5 - Mac Cuu tomb & Binh San mountain
Binh San mountain
This is a more than 50m-high mountain covered with lush green all year round. Standing on the peak of Binh San mountain, you can capture the panoramic view of other attractions including Mui Nai beach, Phu Tu island, and Thach Dong cave.
- Location: Binh San ward - 1km from the city center to the northwest & 3.8km from Thach Dong cave
Mac Cuu tomb - Source: Wikipedia
Mac Cuu tomb
Mac Cuu tomb relics, built in the 18th century, worship the Mac family - who have openly explored the land of Ha Tien more than 300 years ago. It consists of temples and tombs situated from the foot to the top of the mountain. Mac Cuu's largest tomb was built in the Chinese architectural style, with a semicircle cut deep into the mountainside. On the left and right are two generals, around the grave, two dragons are entwined. The steps are paved with Guangxi greenstone, many of the stones are more than 3m long. In front of the grave, there is a statue of Mac Cuu dressed in velvet, holding a sword standing on a majestic high pedestal.
- Location: Mac Cuu street, Binh San ward - right at the foot of Binh San mountain
- Entrance fee: free of charge
8 - Tam Bao pagoda
Tam Bao pagoda - a sacred pagoda in Ha Tien city- Source: Nguyen Tan Trung
Built in 1730 by Mac Cuu, Tam Bao pagoda (Tieu pagoda) was built in 1730 by Mac Cuu. Several outstanding works such as the statue of the Buddha, the exposed Bodhisattva statue, or the Buddha meditating under the bodhi tree statue were created during the second renovation. Despite going through many restorations and embellishments, Tam Bao pagoda still retains its unique architecture.
- Location: No.75 Phuong Thanh street, Binh San Ward - 800m from Binh San mountain
7 - Dong Ho wetland - a poetic land in Ha Tien Vietnam
Dong Ho is a saltwater lagoon with an area of more than 1300 ha, in which the water surface area is about 900 ha while more than 200 ha of it are mangroves, the rest being residential land or aquaculture land. This place is invested to develop community eco-tourism, combined with visiting to learn about the lives of local residents with traditional leaf-making and fishing, along with enjoying local dishes.
- Location: Dong Ho ward - 13km from the city center,
II - What are the best things to do in Ha Tien?
1 - Exploring local cuisine
Herring is exploited all year round with abundant fish, so herring salad always retains its fresh and naturally sweet taste. The main ingredient is fish fillet marinated in lemon juice or vinegar and mixed with fish sauce, sugar, ginger, chili, chopped onion and shredded desiccated coconut. Herring salad is usually served with rice paper, fresh Vietnamese vegetables and rich peanut sauce.
Ken noodle (Bún Kèn)
Ken noodle originating from Cambodia is Ha Tien's very own dish with sophisticated processing and many stages. The broth is a combination of fish broth, curry powder, coconut milk, and bright red cashews. The bowl of vermicelli includes broth, fresh vermicelli, dried shrimp, crushed fish sprinkled on top of herbs. When enjoying, you should add lemon, chili, sweet and sour fish sauce.
Source: Thanh Giang
Ca Xiu (Cà Xỉu)
Ca Xiu is a kind of typical seafood in Ha Tien. The meat quality of Ca Xiu is highly appreciated and cooked into many dishes such as salted Ca Xiu, Ca Xiu mixed with mango & herbs. The taste of Ca Xiu is quite chewy and firm, it is quite favored as a kind of snack or main dish to eat with rice.
Steamed noodles (Hủ Tiếu Hấp)
The main ingredient of the dish is steamed fresh noodle soup, combined with coconut milk, pork skin mixed with roasted rice flour, sliced lean pork, spring rolls, herbs, peanuts and pickled carrots. With a variety of flavors, this is a dish not to be missed.
So in which Ha Tien restaurant can you enjoy the most significant specialties?
Canh Buom restaurant
- Address: No.1 Truong Sa street, Binh San ward
- Opening hours: 6am - 10pm
5 Lua restaurant - Seafood & Grilled dishes
- Address: 6A street, Phao Dai ward
- Opening hours: 4pm - 0am
Gio Bien restaurant
- Address: No.165 DT28, Phao Dai ward
- Opening hours: 6am - 11pm
2 - Shopping in Ha Tien Night Market
Night market - Source: Batdongsan
This night market is one of the top places to visit, where you can find a variety of goods such as cosmetics, handicrafts, fabrics, and food. In particular, this place is also filled with restaurants serving bustling food. Visitors will have the opportunity to try the popular dishes but the local specialties, the fresh seafood dishes of the coastal region are processed on the spot. A bustling and vibrant atmosphere at this night market makes this place more attractive to visit.
- Located in front of Dong Ho An Nguyet Park - Tran Hau street, Dong Ho ward
- Opening hours: 6pm - 0am
III - Further travel information
1 - Ha Tien weather information
Located in the sub-equatorial monsoon tropical climate zone, this has 2 seasons: the dry season and the rainy season. Some outstanding features about the weather here:
- Dry season: from May to November - the best time to come here. The weather in these months is quite moderate and warm with less rain.
- Rainy season: from December to April
- Average annual temperature: 27.5°C. The lowest temperature is 24°C and the highest one is 31°C
- Average annual rainfall: 2400mm
- Average humidity: 80-82%
- Average hours of sunshine per year: 2400 hours
2 - How to travel from Ho Chi Minh to Ha Tien city?
The distance between the two cities is about 330k and you can travel by bus, motorbike or airplane
Source: Vietnam Airlines
Traveling by plane
Step 1: From Tan Son Nhat airport to Rach Gia airport
- Departure: Tan Son Nhat airport - Truong Son street, ward 2, Tan Binh district, Ho Chi Minh city (IATA code: SGN; ICAO code: VVTS)
- Arrive: Rach Gia airport - No.418 Cach Mang Thang 8 street, Vinh Loi ward, Rach Gia city (IATA code: VKG; ICAO: VVRG)
- Flight time: 1 hour
Step 2: From Rach Gia airport to Ha Tien city
The distance is about 90km and you can take a taxi to save time. Taxi cost is about 1,400,000 VND/4-seater car. Some taxi brands in Rach Gia city:
- Phu Cuong Rach Gia Taxi: 029736686868
- Mai Linh Kien Giang Taxi: 029738383838
- Phu Quoc Taxi: 02973757575
- Sasco Phu Quoc Taxi: 02973767676; 02973982982; 02973995599
- Vinasun Rach Gia Taxi: 029738272727
Ho Chi Minh to Ha Tien bus
You can refer to the following buses:
Kumho Samco bus
- Pick-up place: Mien Tay bus station - No.395 Kinh Duong Vuong street, An Lac ward, Binh Tan district, Ho Chi Minh city
- Drop-off place: Ha Tien bus station - 2 Thang 9 street, To Chau ward
- Departure time: 9:30am, 1pm, 9pm, 11pm
- Ticket price: 200,000 VND/ticket ($8.6)
- Contact: 19006065 - 19006065
Hoang Minh bus
- Pick-up place: Mien Tay bus station
- Drop-off place: Ha Tien bus station
- Departure time: 8pm
- Ticket price: 200,000 VND/ticket ($8.6)
- Contact: 0918258169 - 0903773022
3 - Ha Tien accommodation
The best places to stay here are downtown areas such as Tran Hau street, Mac Thien Tich street, Phuong Thanh street, Lam Son street where located some famous hotels and resorts namely:
- Address: Lot B3, Tran Hau Trade Center, Binh San ward
- Room rate: 500,000 - 1,500,000 VND / night
- Address: No.13-14 Hoang Van Thu street, Phao Dai ward
- Room rate: 500,000 VND / night
Kim Co 2 Hotel - one of the best hotels in Ha Tien Vietnam
- Address: 22 23 Ngo May Street, Phao Dai ward
- Room rate: 300,000 VND / night
Aquaki Resort & Spa
- Address: No.79 Nguyen Phuc Chu street, Phao Dai ward
- Contact: 0706 304 999
Doi Nai Vang Resort
- Address: Back Beach, Mui Nai Tourist Area, Phao Dai ward
- Contact: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
4 - Border Checkpoint
Ha Tien Border Checkpoint is connected with Prek Chak Border Checkpoint in Kampong Trach district, Kampot province of Cambodia. If you want to travel to Cambodia, you need to prepare the following documents: a valid passport for at least 6 months and a copy of your citizen's identity.
Cambodia entry fee: 50,000 VND / person ($2.15)
5 - Getting around
Some Motorbike rental shops:
Thue Xe Kien Giang motorbike rental shop
- Rental fee: from 100,000 VND / day ($4.3)
- Hotline: 0944440235 - 0772630000
- Website: http://thuexekiengiang.com
Hongkong land - motorbike rental
- Rental fee: from 130,000 VND / day ($5.6)
- Contact: 0968.090.351
- Website: http://www.hongkongland.com.vn
6 - Suggested tour to explore Ha Tien Vietnam
You should spend 1 or 2 days exploring all points of interest here:
- 1st day: Dong Ho wetland - Da Dung mountain - Thach Dong cave - Mac Cuu mausoleum - Binh San mountain - Mui Nai beach - Night market.
- 2nd day: Hai Tac island
Hai Tac island - Source: Wiki-travel
After exploring this city, Phu Quoc island is highly recommended to visit. From Ha Tien city, you can take a speed boat or ferry to get to Phu Quoc island.
- Departure time: 4:15am, 4:20am, 4:25am, 7am, 7:30am, 9:25am, 9:30am, 11:30am, 00:20pm, 2pm, 5:25pm, 5:30pm
- Departure point: Ha Tien pier - Kim Du street, To Chau ward
- Duration: 2 hours
- Ferry fare: 150,000 - 200,000 VND / ticket ($6.5 - 8.6)
- Departure time: 6am, 7:30am, 7:45am, 9:40am, 9:50am, 1:15pm. 1:50pm
- Departure point: Ha Tien pier
- Duration: over 1 hour
- Speedboat fare: 200,000 - 250,000 VND / ticket ($8.6 - 10.8)
6 - Ha Tien Vietnam map
The above is all information from Localtravelidea related to exploring Ha Tien Vietnam that travelers need to know. If you love the vibrant scenery of Western Vietnam, this city definitely needs to be added to your bucket list!